"The Fasting Buddha" Lahore by jorgejuansanchez
Lahore Travel Guide: 533 reviews and 985 photos
From Islamabad I traveled to Rawalpindi, town that the locals know as Pindi, which is located in the province of Punjab. The next day I caught a train to Lahore with the intention to cross to India.
I was following the historical Grand Trunk Road, from Kabul to Calcutta, across the cities of Peshawar, Rawalpindi, Lahore, Amritsar, Delhi, etc.
In Lahore I learnt that the border between Pakistan and India is only open three days a month, the 2nd, 12nd, and the 22nd.
I have some days to wait in pleasant and historical Lahore that I used to visit its fortress and especially the Lahore Museum, along the Mall road, where I was very interested in watching the famous and impacting statue of Buddha subduing himself, also known as the Fasting Buddha.
I stayed in the dormitory of the YMCA, together with many other travelers anxious to cross to India. There were English, Germans, Italians, Japanese, and even Africans.
The border with India was beyond Lahore, in a small village called Wagah, where I waited for a couple of days for the border to be open and cross to Attari, in India, and from there will follow to Amritsar.
In Wagah, during the night, I noticed that some Bengalis (from Bangladesh) were trying to get through the border to Pakistan illegally, with the goal to migrate to the United Arab Emirates by boat from Karachi, but the Pakistani soldiers fired at them and every day there were some casualties. From my hostel I could hear the rifles shots and the cries of agony of some poor Bengalis, reached by the bullets.
Finally I crossed the border on foot and entered India.
jorgejuansanchez's Related Pages
Lahore Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lahoree's Lahore"
- "L A H O R E: Meri Jaan ! My Soul !"
- "CITY OF GARDENS & TRADITIONS....LAHORE"
- "LORE LORE AE(Their z no comparison to Lahore)"
- "Lahore...Pakistan Ka Dil Hai"
- "Lahore - City of Mughal Emperors"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lahore
- Hotels in Lahore
- Transportation in Lahore
- Nightlife in Lahore
- Restaurants in Lahore
- Shopping in Lahore
- Warnings and Dangers in Lahore
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lahore
- 0 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (179)
Have you been to Lahore?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lahore
Top 10 Pages
- Blagoveshchensk Intro, 250 reviews, 517 photos, 8 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 102 reviews, 72 photos
- Madrid Intro, 50 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 43 reviews, 91 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asunción Intro, 28 reviews, 55 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ulaanbaatar Intro, 29 reviews, 51 photos
- Salvador da Bahia Intro, 16 reviews, 63 photos
- Santiago Intro, 21 reviews, 56 photos
- Beijing Intro, 19 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nalanda Intro, 21 reviews, 49 photos