"Original Houses in Lake Toba" Sumatra by jorgejuansanchez
Sumatra Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 92 photos
Sumatra represented for me a rewarding rest after travelling around the Pacific islands on the cheap, sleeping in beaches, during several months.
For just a few US dollars I rented a house like the ones that you can see in the picture, for me alone, in an island called Samosir inside the salted Lake Toba. The house belonged to the hostel Bagus, in the village of Tuktuk. The natives of the island were batak.
You can reach Lake Toba by direct bus from Jakarta (about 40 hours plus the time lost in the constant bus damages).
If after Sumatra you plan to visit Malaysia, then you have two main boats services. The first sails from the port of Medan (Belawan) until the lovely Pinang Island, or you can descend to Dumai and board a ferry to historical Melaka.
jorgejuansanchez's Related Pages
Sumatra Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Wild and Marvelous Land of Sumatra"
- "Scenic Sumatra"
- "Land of monkies and nasi goreng"
- "Beautiful Island, But..."
- "Home of the Orang Utan"
- "Roadtrip: Jakarta - Padang"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sumatra
- Hotels in Sumatra
- Transportation in Sumatra
- Warnings and Dangers in Sumatra
- See All...
Explore the World
- Lake Cooroibah Hotels
- Puerto Princesa City
- Coachella Hotels
- Grindelwald Hotels
- American Samoa
- Province of Palawan
- Myrtle Beach
- Kentucky Dam Village State Park Hotels
- Gampola Hotels
- Riomaggiore Hotels
- La Playa de Mogán
Badges & Stats in Sumatra
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Sumatra?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sumatra
Top 10 Pages
- Moscow Intro, 72 reviews, 2 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 55 reviews, 2 photos
- Portugal Intro, 38 reviews, 3 photos
- Madrid Intro, 22 reviews, 6 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Castilla y León Intro, 24 reviews, 1 photo
- Catalunya Intro, 21 reviews, 3 photos
- India Intro, 19 reviews, 2 photos
- Russia Intro, 14 reviews, 3 photos
- Santiago de Compostela Intro, 11 reviews, 4 photos
- Chechenskaya Respublika Intro, 2 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue