"Le Corbusier" Chandigarh by jorgejuansanchez
Chandigarh Travel Guide: 73 reviews and 250 photos
I visited Chandigarh by chance.
In those times I traveled free around India boarding the carriages of the train reserved for the sadhus, or religious pilgrims.
I just visited Jyotisar where took place the battle of Kuruksetra, between the kauravas and the pandavas, described in the epic poem Bhagavad Gita. Then I returned to Kuruksetra and boarded the first available train to Shimla, but the train was too slowly (it took eleven hours for 100 kilometers!), the carriage so crowded, sitting on the floor with two sadhus sleeping on my legs and shoulders, that in one of those long stops resolved to get off the train and wait for another faster train.
There was another train at night, so I had the whole day to visit Chandigarh, a city, as soon discovered thanks to the information that supplied me the sadhus of my wagon, that Chandigarh was a city designed by Le Corbusier, in the style of Canberra or Brasilia.
From the railway station to the downtown there were 6 kilometers that I walked.
Chandigarh consisted on blocks, about forty, so I was told, all symmetrical, at mathematical distances, and with about one million inhabitants.
I did not like that city, I found it too programmed, no natural, and there were few sadhus around, which is a bad symptom.
In the evening I walked back to the railway station and boarded the sadhus wagon in the fast train to Shimla, in Himachal Pradesh.
jorgejuansanchez's Related Pages
Chandigarh Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Chandigarh - India's only planned modern city"
- "A lot more than meets the eye"
- "Chandigarh, India"
- "chandigarh-The planned city"
- "Eccentric City with an Austere Facade!!"
- "Planned city ... just like home!"
- "Le Corbusier's vision"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chandigarh
- Hotels in Chandigarh
- Transportation in Chandigarh
- Restaurants in Chandigarh
- Shopping in Chandigarh
- Warnings and Dangers in Chandigarh
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chandigarh
- 0 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (182)
Have you been to Chandigarh?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chandigarh
Top 10 Pages
- Blagoveshchensk Intro, 251 reviews, 518 photos, 8 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 103 reviews, 81 photos
- Madrid Intro, 50 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 43 reviews, 91 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asunción Intro, 28 reviews, 55 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ulaanbaatar Intro, 29 reviews, 51 photos
- Salvador da Bahia Intro, 16 reviews, 63 photos
- Santiago Intro, 21 reviews, 56 photos
- Beijing Intro, 19 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nalanda Intro, 21 reviews, 49 photos