"Vivekananda Rock Memorial" Kanniyakumari by jorgejuansanchez
Kanniyakumari Travel Guide: 97 reviews and 241 photos
One of the places that you should not miss if you travel to Tamil Nadu is the holy Kanyakumary, in the Cape Comorin. You will be in the junction of the Indian Ocean, Arabian Sea and Bay of Bengal. If you love Geography you will be excited at being in that place. Further south, on front of you, there is nothing until the Antarctica.
There is a free boat to cross to a rock just in front of Kanyakumari, at about 500 meters distance. It is called Vivekananda Rock Memorial, in honor of that XIX century philosopher and mystic, who was a disciple of Ramakrishna.
Upon his return from a voyage via Sri Lanka, Swami Vivekananda swam (it look a words game, Swami swam) from Kanyakumari to that rock and meditated there until he attained enlightenment.
On that rock you will find a temple and a meditation hall in its interior, with the Sanskrit sign OM and the statue of Swami Vivekananda.
Many sadhus from all over India pilgrimage to that place.
I spent the night in that holy place and saw at the same time the sunrise and the moon appearing from the horizon. I found that moment magic.
jorgejuansanchez's Related Pages
Kanniyakumari Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kanyakumari - Land of Legends"
- "kanyakumari district"
- "Where India meets two Seas and an Ocean !"
- "Visit the Southern Tip of India"
- "Three Seas Meeting"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kanniyakumari
- Hotels in Kanniyakumari
- Transportation in Kanniyakumari
- Nightlife in Kanniyakumari
- Restaurants in Kanniyakumari
- Shopping in Kanniyakumari
- Warnings and Dangers in Kanniyakumari
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kanniyakumari
- 0 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (182)
Have you been to Kanniyakumari?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kanniyakumari
Top 10 Pages
- Blagoveshchensk Intro, 251 reviews, 518 photos, 8 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 103 reviews, 81 photos
- Madrid Intro, 50 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 43 reviews, 91 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asunción Intro, 28 reviews, 55 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ulaanbaatar Intro, 29 reviews, 51 photos
- Salvador da Bahia Intro, 16 reviews, 63 photos
- Santiago Intro, 21 reviews, 56 photos
- Beijing Intro, 19 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nalanda Intro, 21 reviews, 49 photos