"Loved it" Beirut by stappm

Beirut Travel Guide: 922 reviews and 1,813 photos

The Next IT Place

Very exciting things happening in Beirut right now. I in NO WAY felt threatened by all the western media hype about Lebanon being unsafe at the moment - However I did not wear a US Flag on my T-shirt and kept a VERY low profile. There is a ton of things to see and do in Lebanon from archeology to culture. As a country I believe if they stay on the path of peace Lebanon may very well be the next IT place to go on the Medditeranean.

Rumor had it that people in Lebanon are sincerely nice and it could not have been more true. I left my cell phone in a taxi only to later find it safely returned to my hotel. I was asked to dinner (platonically) numerous times. And I accidentally left souveniers at a hotel and when I dropped back by well over a week later they were holding it for me! If that was in the states they all would have been long gone! Good people!

I enjoyed Lebanon so much I actually cut my trip to Jordan short so I could go back! The culture, the food, the history, the sea.... it is all very good! As far as being Middle East, I would consider Lebanon Middle Eastern Lite. The community, from what I saw, is very cosmopolitan, diverse, and educated. Womens rights have been taken care of..... I mean every country could perhaps do more, the US among them,.... but they are very western in that regard and I in no way felt second class due to my gender (as I have felt, very recently in fact, in other Middle Eastern countries.)

• Pros:Weather and People
  • Cons:Taxi Drivers
  • In a nutshell:Loved it

• triplehelix's Profile Photo
    Jul 15, 2006 at 12:05 PM

ohhh lebanon :( .....

• May 30, 2006 at 10:26 PM

hi Meredith!, very nice Beirut page!, i went in Beirut April 2006 i felt in love with this place:) i enjoyed very much your tips, nice memories come back:)

• May 16, 2006 at 1:06 AM

Hi Meredith, Thanks for your comments. I can see that Lebanon got a piece of your heart :-)

• NC_Ziggy's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2005 at 11:59 AM

Hi Meredith! Most interesting destination and your tips are very well given... just the right amount of information & personal experience. Great Job! Seasons Greetings & Best Wishes from North Carolina! ;-)

• Siddha3th's Profile Photo
    Sep 30, 2005 at 1:44 PM

Hmm, I really must get here someday. Lovely tips, Meredith :) Ciao... Siddharth in Dubai

• Ben-UK's Profile Photo
    Sep 17, 2005 at 10:09 AM

Beirut looks a fascinating place -- and looks like you had a great time there -- very nice page, thanks.

• louny78's Profile Photo
    Aug 23, 2005 at 3:08 AM

i'm happy to know that you loved Beirut & you didn't care about the media.

• sarrahh's Profile Photo
    Aug 23, 2005 at 12:29 AM

nice tips and photos keep on pls Beirut misses u Sarah Lebanon

stappm Visits Here Frequently!

stappm

“Dream BIG, cause sometimes those dreams come true too!”

Badges & Stats in Beirut