"Loved it" Beirut by stappm
Beirut Travel Guide: 922 reviews and 1,813 photos
Very exciting things happening in Beirut right now. I in NO WAY felt threatened by all the western media hype about Lebanon being unsafe at the moment - However I did not wear a US Flag on my T-shirt and kept a VERY low profile. There is a ton of things to see and do in Lebanon from archeology to culture. As a country I believe if they stay on the path of peace Lebanon may very well be the next IT place to go on the Medditeranean.
Rumor had it that people in Lebanon are sincerely nice and it could not have been more true. I left my cell phone in a taxi only to later find it safely returned to my hotel. I was asked to dinner (platonically) numerous times. And I accidentally left souveniers at a hotel and when I dropped back by well over a week later they were holding it for me! If that was in the states they all would have been long gone! Good people!
I enjoyed Lebanon so much I actually cut my trip to Jordan short so I could go back! The culture, the food, the history, the sea.... it is all very good! As far as being Middle East, I would consider Lebanon Middle Eastern Lite. The community, from what I saw, is very cosmopolitan, diverse, and educated. Womens rights have been taken care of..... I mean every country could perhaps do more, the US among them,.... but they are very western in that regard and I in no way felt second class due to my gender (as I have felt, very recently in fact, in other Middle Eastern countries.)
- Pros:Weather and People
- Cons:Taxi Drivers
- In a nutshell:Loved it
Beach Clubs are a very popular way to spend a day in Beirut. One of my favorites was the Riviera Beach and Yatch Club at... more travel advice
A friend of mine who works for the World Bank in Beirut, said the Leb. Pound (Livres) is linked to the USD & that is 1... more travel advice
stappm's Related Pages
Beirut Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beirut - بيروت"
- "Home sweet home :-)"
- "**********MY HOME**********"
- "Beyrouth - the capital of Lebanon"
- "Beirut -a phoenix risen from the ashes"
- "BEIRUT - Independent - Free and - United"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Beirut
- Hotels in Beirut
- Transportation in Beirut
- Nightlife in Beirut
- Restaurants in Beirut
- Shopping in Beirut
- Warnings and Dangers in Beirut
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Beirut
- 14 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 42 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Beirut?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Beirut
Photos in BeirutSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Phuket Intro, 15 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bangkok Intro, 18 reviews, 22 photos
- Beirut Intro, 14 reviews, 20 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake Havasu City Intro, 11 reviews, 22 photos
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos
- Petra Intro, 7 reviews, 14 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 9 reviews, 8 photos
- Singapore Intro, 7 reviews, 9 photos
- Venice Intro, 4 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jbail Intro, 7 reviews, 9 photos