"Interesting Place" Kuala Lumpur by stappm

Kuala Lumpur Travel Guide: 6,004 reviews and 13,551 photos

I stopped here on route to Phuket, Thailand. And everyone I met in Singapore was excited for me to go to KL. I took a bus from Singapore to KL (buses are inexpensive and nice, coach style, some even have beverage service and movies and you get to see the countryside) And takes about as long as flying would. Anyway, i am glad I did it. However, I was THE ONLY westerner on the bus, and the only one at the mid-ride bus depot. Since Malaysia is mostly muslim, most all women cover thier hair - and being the tall California blonde I am, I stuck out like a sore thumb. Even though i was very modestly dressed, I would have felt better/more inconspicuous in a baseball cap. People stared, both men and women, and at least in a baseball cap you don't have to look at them looking at you...

I was lurred to the Battu Caves by a Taxi driver, I really wanted to go to Masjd India - and we stopped here in route (a little out of the way, needless to say) LOL. I was glad I saw it - I probably would not have gone on my own accord.......

The shopping in KL is GREAT especially for Pashima's and scarves (Little India). You can get some that are beautifully beaded, great over evening attire! Also great buy in KL are perscription glasses, I bought some in KL Plaza (across the street from the regent) that came out to about $100 a pair (Gucci and Dior - not sure if they are fakes?!@#)

• Pros:Great Shopping
  • Last visit to Kuala Lumpur: Jan 2005
  • Intro Updated Mar 9, 2006

• Oct 15, 2006 at 8:59 AM

lovely page! Nikos

• gil360's Profile Photo
    Mar 16, 2006 at 1:52 PM

the description of Kuala Lumpur arrises curiosity and interest. thanks for bothering telling us all details. I liked most the 5 star hotel. hooooo I love them!

• Feb 13, 2006 at 7:31 PM

Thank you for you birthday wishes. Good that you managed to get rid of those dodgy people. Informative pages on K.L.

• dfactor's Profile Photo
    Nov 25, 2005 at 2:10 AM

I'm surprise to read about your dodgy people / dodge agressive men in KL. To tell you the truth, I'd never heard of anything like b4. And being stared at in the bus? Hm... something new to me too. Got me thinking...

• ZenLady34's Profile Photo
    Jul 8, 2005 at 2:16 AM

Hi. How was the Concorde hotel situated in KL in terms of local transport, shopping etc... thanks

• muddybok's Profile Photo
    Feb 28, 2005 at 4:12 AM

Thks for visiting my pages. Hope to see more KL tips coming.

• rwlittle's Profile Photo
    Jan 30, 2005 at 8:39 PM

Great tips...especially that warning, as I have to agree that it sounds creepy!

• jenniferchin's Profile Photo
    Jan 30, 2005 at 8:23 PM

Hahaha !!! Oh dear .. I had same experience with the hotel guy over in Hanoi ... gigolo services NOT welcomed !!

stappm

“Dream BIG, cause sometimes those dreams come true too!”

Badges & Stats in Kuala Lumpur

Have you been to Kuala Lumpur?

Latest Activity in Kuala Lumpur