"Legend on stilts" Brunei by Assenczo
Brunei Travel Guide: 899 reviews and 3,593 photos
Brunei is a remote place that in the minds of many is associated with the fabulous riches of the sultan. By extension, it is implied that the populace enjoys the same fortunes. A trip to this land of pretended peace is necessary to demystify such conclusions. The sultan must be rich but how much of his wealth is actually his is difficult to figure out. And this is no coincidence for a character that on the surface has much more in common with the current hotshot Kaddafi than with a fairytale prince (just have a look at how many portraits of his you can get in one shot). Next into the equation comes the fact that the infrastructure is not Dubai-like one and these stilt houses continue to be a sore in the eyes of those who are even ready to look at them from broad angle including their value in terms of tradition or as the best ventilated place in town. What underlines the first impressions of a visitor is the fact that the ruler has decided to be as strict and dignified Muslim as possible even including double script on most locations as if he is yes, indeed, one of the heirs of Mohammed. The fact is that despite all this effort his young generation cranks up the American pop at the restaurants to muffle the howling of the mullahs and what is of major concern to the same youngsters, meaning the future, is what the price of a bottle of beer is in your country. And all this in the dry, pious country of Brunei! Not to mention his majesty's direct faux pas or Jerundong Park that is nothing else but a Disneyland with some local twist.
- Pros:Most original in the region
- Cons:Dry season, dry country
- In a nutshell:On stilts or in lavish mosque it is certainly most unique
The most imposing impression coming out of a stroll downtown Bandar Seri Begawan is the endless visual propaganda... more travel advice
Renting a car is the way to achieve independence in a place with relatively expensive tours and taxi service. The rental... more travel advice
Assenczo's Related Pages
Brunei Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bandar Seri Begawan"
- "Jalan jalan at Brunei Darussalam"
- "Oil Kingdom of Brunei"
- "Brunei Darussalam"
- "Brunei – the country that Oil built"
- "A land of Contrasts"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Brunei
- Hotels in Brunei
- Transportation in Brunei
- Nightlife in Brunei
- Restaurants in Brunei
- Shopping in Brunei
- Warnings and Dangers in Brunei
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Brunei
- 7 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Brunei?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Brunei
Top 10 Pages
- Luang Prabang Intro, 7 reviews, 31 photos
- Hanoi Intro, 7 reviews, 27 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 9 reviews, 24 photos
- Brunei Intro, 7 reviews, 26 photos
- Molokai Intro, 6 reviews, 27 photos
- Oslo Intro, 8 reviews, 24 photos
- Yogyakarta Intro, 6 reviews, 26 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skaftafell Intro, 5 reviews, 25 photos
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 9 reviews, 20 photos
- Cape Town Intro, 8 reviews, 19 photos