"The Pearl of the Adriatic" Dubrovnik by Assenczo
Dubrovnik Travel Guide: 1,822 reviews and 4,853 photos
Dubrovnik is one of these places which you might have heard of many times but not sure whether they truly deserve their fame. Also, it is in the same group of places which make you groan and moan about how accurate their tourist image is but at the same time it is nothing compared to seeing them first hand.
This city boasts to be the “Pearl of the Adriatic” and at first glace one might be tempted to challenge this claim. After a quick scan of the local area, Venice comes up to mind. Realistically, Venice doesn’t belong to the Adriatic as much as Dubrovnik does, because of the Lagoon which separates the city of saint snatchers from the sea that nurtured it. This state of affairs is going to be underlined even more so when the project for the protection of the Venetian Lagoon is implemented. On the contrary, the only thing that separates Dubrovnik from the Adriatic is its own defensive walls.
While poor Venice is plagued with problems, Dubrovnik flourishes. No amount of “Serb/Montenegrin” shells was able to destroy it. As a matter of fact, this unfortunate piece of history has contributed to the promotional spin initiated by the city authorities. The vast majority of potential guests have become such because of the information on the war in former Yugoslavia. Unlike Mostar though, the reconstruction effort was apparently swift and uncompromising. As a result, the visitors are offered walled city of no mean fame in perfect condition. The cheerful red roofs are something that could be lamented from the point of authenticity but at the same time they are much more beautiful then their “ancient” look-alikes.
- Pros:Perfect beach head in the Balkans
- Cons:Deserted in January
- In a nutshell:If not a sacrilege: Italy in Croatia
The pubs, clubs and other entertainment spots are available in many places in the world. It is part of the “everyday”... more travel advice
Walking on the city walls of Dubrovnik is a must. There are not very many structures of this kind that are accessible.... more travel advice
Assenczo's Related Pages
Dubrovnik Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "DUBROVNIK , the Pearl of Croatia"
- "Dubrovnik and the beauty inside"
- "Dubrovnik - Ragusa"
- "Divine Dubrovnik"
- "Unavoidable Dubrovnik"
- "A Lovely Village Inside a Wall"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dubrovnik
- Hotels in Dubrovnik
- Transportation in Dubrovnik
- Nightlife in Dubrovnik
- Restaurants in Dubrovnik
- Shopping in Dubrovnik
- Warnings and Dangers in Dubrovnik
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dubrovnik
- 5 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Dubrovnik?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dubrovnik
Top 10 Pages
- Luang Prabang Intro, 7 reviews, 31 photos
- Hanoi Intro, 7 reviews, 27 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 9 reviews, 24 photos
- Brunei Intro, 7 reviews, 26 photos
- Molokai Intro, 6 reviews, 27 photos
- Oslo Intro, 8 reviews, 24 photos
- Yogyakarta Intro, 6 reviews, 26 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skaftafell Intro, 5 reviews, 25 photos
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 9 reviews, 20 photos
- Cape Town Intro, 8 reviews, 19 photos