"Pivotal border crossing" Ressano Garcia by Assenczo

Ressano Garcia Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 12 photos

Corruption African style

The border guard on the South African side told me that my documents were OK and nobody further down the road to the "real" border post is to ask me for money!? They did not... After obtaining a Mocambique visa I proceeded towards the minivan in order to continue merrily to Maputo . Just a couple of meters drive we were stopped for Mozambique passport control again. This time some of the passengers were not able to produce passports !? The border guard pulled them out maintaining "Vamos, vamos" and after another couple of minutes and undisclosed amount of money the happy trespassers were back in the van and we were on our way to the prawn capital of the world!
On the way back, the last line of South African border inspection was at the Intercape bus door. Looking at my "Hugo Boss" travel bag he ordered me to open it. His gaze stopped on my Lonely Planet travel guide and said: "I can have this!" Rather bizzare comment at this type of location I thought. Fortunately, I did not have to part with my guide considering that Namibia was still ahead.

• Last visit to Ressano Garcia: Jul 2009
  • Intro Updated Sep 12, 2009

Comments

Assenczo

“Myths Annihilated”

Badges & Stats in Ressano Garcia

Have you been to Ressano Garcia?

Latest Activity in Ressano Garcia