"Hell in Paradise" Waiotapu by Assenczo
Waiotapu Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 22 photos
Wai-o-tapu is part of the thermal wonder world of Rotorua and its environs. It is a destination on its own as far as the NZ parks are concerned and a separate ticket is charged for the entrance. There are no surprises here – practically every hole in the area is fenced off and exploited. What is good about this state of affairs is the fact that the nature lovers are supplied with the stuff NZ was famous for – its bush. No more sheep and grass in sight. All the indigenous species of flora have been reintroduced for the best back drop a geyser might want. To avoid paying many times for more or less the same thing (if money is a concern of course), one needs to plan more carefully. Many of the similar “venues” offer entertainment – folk shows with Maoris just pulled out of oblivion, and promises for gourmet climaxes coming out of earth pits. While one might wonder about the authenticity of similar activities, nothing can overshadow the natural brilliance of the thermal action. In this sense Wai-o-tapu is touted as “the best” of its kind and without knowing the competition I have to admit that I was stupefied. The area includes a mighty geyser, huge hot lake, numerous bubbling “pans” and many wildly coloured cool basins.
- Pros:Two for one - hell in paradise
- Cons:Cordonned off and charged up
- In a nutshell:NZ at its most original
The only thing to do around is to immerse oneself in the natural beauty of the colourful lakes, pans and geysers. For... more travel advice
Assenczo's Related Pages
Waiotapu Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hell in Paradise"
- "Wai-o-tapu Thermal Wonderland"
- "Wai-O-Tapu Thermal Wonderland"
- "Pictures of Waiotapu"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Waiotapu
- Transportation in Waiotapu
- Warnings and Dangers in Waiotapu
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Waiotapu
- 3 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Waiotapu?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Waiotapu
Videos in WaiotapuSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Brunei Intro, 7 reviews, 26 photos
- Oslo Intro, 8 reviews, 24 photos
- Yogyakarta Intro, 6 reviews, 26 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skaftafell Intro, 5 reviews, 25 photos
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 9 reviews, 20 photos
- Cape Town Intro, 8 reviews, 19 photos
- Bergen Intro, 6 reviews, 21 photos
- Cartagena Intro, 9 reviews, 17 photos
- Dominica Intro, 5 reviews, 21 photos
- Granada Intro, 7 reviews, 19 photos