"ULURU, definitely not" Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) by Assenczo
Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Travel Guide: 436 reviews and 1,214 photos
Before coming to Australia I was quite excited to find out that the Rock has been renamed Uluru as the aboriginals used to call it. How nice – everything has fallen into place. Once on the spot though, it is more than obvious that the name is deprived of its contents. The aboriginals are nowhere to be seen; the hotel resort employs some of them in more marginal positions, such as housemaids or construction workers. The front desk people are exclusively white. Even the bell boys and the room service attendants are white, fresh from the low-productivity farms of the outback. For those who might consider the poor education of the natives and their inability to manage the money-related parts of the business as probable cause of their separation from the front desk it is difficult to explain why they cannot be entrusted with caring luggage to a hotel room or driving a resort bus to and from the airport.
As if to further this point of bigotry and bias, the native artists have been graciously given the chance to make some money on top of their welfare cheques with native artistry. Of course dealing with money, marketing and sales is way beyond them. That’s why the cultural center has bared them from setting up shop there and delegated this role to a white college girl. The famous center from the brochures is based on the story of the aboriginals and their connection to the Rock. It is well designed around the aboriginal story and livelihood with many signs prompting the visitor to keep quiet for the sake of respect to this sacred place (by the way this is probably the only place where the trespasser is not threatened with fines or prosecution). What a disappointment it is when suddenly at the end of the “tunnel” the unsuspecting tourist comes face to face with a white freckled girl who sells their art. Now is the time to believe that Ayer’s Rock is Uluru and not vice versa!?
- Pros:Most original place on the 6th continent and beyond
- Cons:In the grip of a tourist-trap set up
- In a nutshell:Australian hallmark
Wild life is one of the features of Australia that is most widely promoted. The chances are that the wild animals would... more travel advice
Mount Connor is a “table upon table” mountain, probably never to be seen anywhere else. Deceptively, it has the more... more travel advice
Assenczo's Related Pages
Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "G'Day from the Red Centre"
- "IMPREXXION: YULARA-ULURU"
- "Living at `The Rock`"
- "Uluru, Kata Tjuta and Watarrka NP"
- "Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park"
- "Uluru National Park"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock)
- Hotels in Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock)
- Transportation in Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock)
- Nightlife in Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock)
- Restaurants in Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock)
- Shopping in Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock)
- Warnings and Dangers in Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock)
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock)
- 7 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock)?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock)
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Lao singer"
- Commented on one of xuessium's Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) travel pages
- Wrote a Review Fines, prosecution or both in Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Local Customs
- Uploaded a Photo to "Wild life scared to death - Kata Tjuta"
- updated a Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Travel Page "ULURU, definitely not"
Photos in Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock)See All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Luang Prabang Intro, 7 reviews, 32 photos
- Hanoi Intro, 7 reviews, 27 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 9 reviews, 24 photos
- Brunei Intro, 7 reviews, 26 photos
- Molokai Intro, 6 reviews, 27 photos
- Oslo Intro, 8 reviews, 24 photos
- Yogyakarta Intro, 6 reviews, 26 photos
- Paramaribo Intro, 6 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skaftafell Intro, 5 reviews, 25 photos
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 9 reviews, 20 photos