"Oil Princess" Baku by Assenczo
Baku Travel Guide: 310 reviews and 871 photos
One of the best approaches to Azerbaijan in general and Baku in particular is to use the train service from Georgia. This rather trivial attitude is going to provide the bold and the beautiful with unexpected angles. The contrasts of prairies and semi desserts to the multitude of the capital and its poor suburbs giving way to new monstrosities of apartments is very exotic and revealing at the same time. Wait until you get to your most-probable destination in the heart of the city to be totally blown away. Again, this must be treacherous ways of the East, or shall we not go into geography yet because it might not be understood quite literally.
Baku is an enigma for most people out of the ex Soviet Union and will probably remain so unless throngs of tourists flood the gates of the old town - a prospect highly unlikely. An enigma it continues to be even after a visit when one has no time to analyze and absorb all the influences and contrast that this mega polis offers. One of the most enduring impressions is nevertheless the determination of whoever is control of things to strive for the better and on behalf of many people. The sheer scale of beautifying and up scaling without annihilating is worthy of admiration. The old town is maybe not the best example but still, the results are more than satisfactory especially considering what was at hand at the beginning.
- Pros:Melting pot of influencies to explore
- Cons:Heat in summer and some upstart salesmen (very moderate by scale though)
- In a nutshell:Stupefyingly surprising
Trying to leave some countries can be a pain. Azerbaijan was not the best example but provided some food for thought. At... more travel advice
One of the delights of Baku especially in summer is a walk around the fountain square. It is a splendid display of... more travel advice
Assenczo's Related Pages
Baku Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Baku ? Capital of the land of fire"
- "Baku is the city of winds"
- "A booming capital"
- "Windy Caspian city"
- "City of my dreams!"
- "COOL CAPITAL - SHAME ABOUT THE VISA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Baku
- Hotels in Baku
- Transportation in Baku
- Nightlife in Baku
- Restaurants in Baku
- Shopping in Baku
- Warnings and Dangers in Baku
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Baku
- 6 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Baku?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Baku
Top 10 Pages
- Luang Prabang Intro, 7 reviews, 32 photos
- Hanoi Intro, 7 reviews, 27 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 9 reviews, 24 photos
- Brunei Intro, 7 reviews, 26 photos
- Molokai Intro, 6 reviews, 27 photos
- Oslo Intro, 8 reviews, 24 photos
- Yogyakarta Intro, 6 reviews, 26 photos
- Paramaribo Intro, 6 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skaftafell Intro, 5 reviews, 25 photos
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 9 reviews, 20 photos