"One of the monastery options" Geghard by Assenczo
Geghard Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 22 photos
Geghard is another excursion tandem organized by Hyur service. It is close to Yerevan and the juxtaposition to the “Roman” temple of Garni is striking considering that most of the temples went up in smoke only to be reincarnated as churches or monasteries. All this said there is the contemporary practice of animal sacrifice right on the grounds of the monastery performed and blessed by clergymen. Rather curious experience considering that the Armenian Church just celebrated its 1700 anniversary. But as some put it, there is nothing wrong with some halal chicken in a monastery when Abraham, this precursor of all things to come, had his little experience with his son and God rushing in the last moment to guide his knife to the throat of the innocent lamb - hence halal lamb! Mind you in our case the union with God was marked by a bloody spot on the forehead of the believers. Chicken *** compared to some other union registration processes!
- In a nutshell:Buit in stone, carved in stone
There is the curious history of this place of worship which was deemed to be demolished as all the other pagan sites in... more travel advice
Assenczo's Related Pages
Geghard Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Geghard Monastery"
- "One of the monastery options"
- "Geghard Monastery: Fantastic Location"
- "Geghard Travel - 2000. 2006 and 2007"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Geghard
- 2 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Geghard?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Geghard
Photos in GeghardSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Brunei Intro, 7 reviews, 26 photos
- Oslo Intro, 8 reviews, 24 photos
- Yogyakarta Intro, 6 reviews, 26 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skaftafell Intro, 5 reviews, 25 photos
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 9 reviews, 20 photos
- Cape Town Intro, 8 reviews, 19 photos
- Bergen Intro, 6 reviews, 21 photos
- Cartagena Intro, 9 reviews, 17 photos
- Dominica Intro, 5 reviews, 21 photos
- Granada Intro, 7 reviews, 19 photos