"In the middle of the Grenadines" Canouan by Assenczo
Canouan Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 12 photos
Canouan is certainly a gem even though it did not look like it at the beginning. Accommodation is tough to pass by considering that the authorities have gambled on high-end tourism renting out half of the island to some so-called developers with their casinos, golf courses and so on crap, while the rest of the island together with its population is designated to serve them. That is fine except if you are not willing to pay from 2000USD a night you have a problem. What are left are the apartment rentals which are not necessarily perfect because they are large and respectively more expensive by adding living rooms and amenities. Catering is not a thrill either because the stores are poorly supplied with Canadian, European and other far-flung territories’ canned foods and there is only one restaurant outside of the resort (the second one is at the airport, making it practically off limits). The flip side of the coin is that the beaches of what is left of the island to the mere mortals are practically deserted. Locals are not avid sunbathers and visitors have self-restricted themselves to the resort areas. So if you have been looking for a remote island with a feeling of being shipwrecked on some bucolic corner of the Earth, Canouan is the perfect location to fulfill your dream.
- Pros:Blissfully deserted
- Cons:Where is the fish?
- In a nutshell:Playground for the rich enjoyed by the mortals
Finding accommodation off the cuff sort of speak has the added advantage of peering into the psyche of the locals with... more travel advice
Probably the best place to watch a fiery tropical sunset on Canouan is the airport area. The spot has the second of only... more travel advice
Assenczo's Related Pages
Canouan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Canouan Island - The Diamond of the Grenadines"
- "In the middle of the Grenadines"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Canouan
- 4 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Canouan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Canouan
Photos in CanouanSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Brunei Intro, 7 reviews, 26 photos
- Molokai Intro, 6 reviews, 27 photos
- Oslo Intro, 8 reviews, 24 photos
- Yogyakarta Intro, 6 reviews, 26 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skaftafell Intro, 5 reviews, 25 photos
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 9 reviews, 20 photos
- Cape Town Intro, 8 reviews, 19 photos
- Bergen Intro, 6 reviews, 21 photos
- Kauai Intro, 6 reviews, 20 photos
- Cartagena Intro, 9 reviews, 17 photos