"The "Second Largest"" Caye Caulker by Assenczo
Caye Caulker Travel Guide: 474 reviews and 940 photos
Caye caulker is a small place with many tourists who seem to be out of sight for most of the time since they are out at sea exploring the abyss. Unique feature of the island transportation is the golf cart taxis, one of a kind I should say. Along the “beach” small palms are lined up for a change of the usual mangrove population in the “suburbs”. There are many restaurants waiting to relieve you from money and anxieties offering the regular fishy fare and local beer. The basics are covered by street fruit vendors and local bakeries which provide breakfast delights. The rest of the tourist business revolves around diving and snorkelling. No surprise when you are dwelling on the second largest coral reef in the world. Many shops offer the service and at the end one or more “captains” seem to be always available for the combined customers of different shops.
Population wise the island is quite the mixture. The expectation of Caribbean style black populace is a bit of off the reality since the majority of the people have Indian heritage. The cemetery is covered with tomb stones commemorating the great deeds of people with Spanish names. The lingua franca is English but it is used to mainly communicate with the tourists – on local level the language of preference seems to be Spanish, Creole or a combination of those. Specialization along racial lines includes water or golf taxi service for the people with African lineage and hotel business for the Amerindians. Mayas or Maya-looking vendors make inroads in the realm of Maya folk production and sales. A visitor coming from Guatemala might find it odd and useless.
- Pros:Three minutes away from the reef
- Cons:More rain than sun
- In a nutshell:Carribean classic, I suppose
Do not expect luxury, just local atmosphere and lots of it. more travel advice
Once in Caye Caulker one should visit or stay at the Ignacio's resort hotel. The experience is local, unique and... more travel advice
Assenczo's Related Pages
Caye Caulker Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Something different under the sun!"
- "Caye Caulker - Ya Betta Belize It!"
- "I Miss Caye Caulker Already"
- "RELAXING IN PARADISE"
- "Caye Caulker"
- "Laid Back"
- "Laid back and life-changing: Caye Caulker"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Caye Caulker
- Hotels in Caye Caulker
- Transportation in Caye Caulker
- Nightlife in Caye Caulker
- Restaurants in Caye Caulker
- Shopping in Caye Caulker
- Warnings and Dangers in Caye Caulker
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Caye Caulker
- 5 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Caye Caulker?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Caye Caulker
Photos in Caye CaulkerSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Brunei Intro, 7 reviews, 26 photos
- Oslo Intro, 8 reviews, 24 photos
- Yogyakarta Intro, 6 reviews, 26 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skaftafell Intro, 5 reviews, 25 photos
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 9 reviews, 20 photos
- Cape Town Intro, 8 reviews, 19 photos
- Bergen Intro, 6 reviews, 21 photos
- Cartagena Intro, 9 reviews, 17 photos
- Dominica Intro, 5 reviews, 21 photos
- Granada Intro, 7 reviews, 19 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (7)
Latest Caye Caulker hotel reviews
- Maxhapan Cabanas
- 94 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 10, 2013
- Caye Caulker Condos
- 79 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 8, 2013
- De Real Macaw
- 124 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 4, 2013
- Costa Maya Beach Cabanas
- 52 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 22, 2013
- Yuma's House Belize ( also known as Tina's Backpacker's Hostel)
- 115 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 12, 2013
- Tom's Hotel
- 24 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 1, 2013
- Seaside Cabanas
- 317 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- Tropical Paradise Hotel & Restaurant
- 82 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 25, 2013
- Auxillou Beach Suites
- 32 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 10, 2013
- Diane's Beach House
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 13, 2010
- Mara's Place
- 37 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013