"Frontier sensation" Puerto Villamil by Assenczo
Puerto Villamil Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 123 photos
Isabella Island is the largest of the Galapagos Islands and the only one that stretches over the Equator; sounds beckoning but this is not similar to a “mitad del mundo” trip. Most of the island is off to visitors and the rest is covered by guided walks only. Another “nuisance” is the equatorial sun than burns mercilessly at sea level and hikes in the interior can be quite demanding physically. A trek to the nearest volcano is advertized by the owner of Rincon de George Hotel but most of the time at least in January the summit is covered by cloud, so visibility is practically nil. At the same time the town itself is an experience of remoteness in its own right. The unpaved streets are traversed mostly by jeeps that give this extra frontier feel. Even the lamp posts are made of some crooked wooden branches for more authenticity.
The most attractive feature is the lack of visitors – the whole beach of many miles is practically empty and the only company of the sun worshiper are the iguanas dragging their feet and tail on the white sand and the odd pelican fluffing up his plumage. As far as catering goes, this is not a place for gourmet lovers. The expectation is that as an island located in the middle of the largest ocean on Earth, its restaurants would burst with wide variety of fish or seafood dishes. Well, there is no variety; moreover there is practically no fish. The ultimate nonsense that one might hear in a restaurant is a suggestion “to open a can of fish”. The authorities are trying to eliminate the fishing business and turn the fishermen into taxi-boat drivers and they have succeeded. Probably, there is not enough fish to satisfy the cruise ship public and leave enough in the sea so it still retains its original bounty on which all the other creatures depend.
- Pros:Further than most people would go
- Cons:Your chance to leave is at 6 o'clock
One of the tours most aggressively touted on Isabella if this expression fits this gentle frontier town at all, is the... more travel advice
Transport between the islands stands on two pillars – regular so-called lanchas and charter ones. The first servers... more travel advice
Assenczo's Related Pages
Puerto Villamil Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Puerto Villamil, Isla Isabela, Galapagos Islands"
- "Frontier sensation"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Puerto Villamil
- Hotels in Puerto Villamil
- Transportation in Puerto Villamil
- Restaurants in Puerto Villamil
- Warnings and Dangers in Puerto Villamil
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Puerto Villamil
- 5 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Puerto Villamil?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Puerto Villamil
Photos in Puerto VillamilSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Brunei Intro, 7 reviews, 26 photos
- Molokai Intro, 6 reviews, 27 photos
- Oslo Intro, 8 reviews, 24 photos
- Yogyakarta Intro, 6 reviews, 26 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skaftafell Intro, 5 reviews, 25 photos
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 9 reviews, 20 photos
- Cape Town Intro, 8 reviews, 19 photos
- Bergen Intro, 6 reviews, 21 photos
- Kauai Intro, 6 reviews, 20 photos
- Cartagena Intro, 9 reviews, 17 photos