"Grandour and pomp fitting Gran Colombia" Bogotá by Assenczo
Bogotá Travel Guide: 663 reviews and 1,551 photos
Just as other times when traveling through the ex colonies of Spain in the new world, traveling in Colombia and Ecuador brings up the questions of nation building and how it came about. It is more than obvious that the modern states of Latin America follow the administrative divisions of the Spanish Empire and as a result it is difficult to comprehend what turns them into different “nationalities”. The favourite trick is to highjack the symbols and traditions of the locals but this is rather pathetic attempt since the indigenous people are universally despised and by default kept in the lowest strata of society everywhere except in Bolivia.
When comparing Colombia and Ecuador, it is intriguing to observe that the size and grandeur of the Spanish administrative division was passed over to the new republics. Consequently, the government buildings complex in the respective old towns is completely different in character. While the captaincy of Ecuador was of lower stature and had smaller budgets at hand, the viceroyalty of Nueva Granada, the future Colombia was full of powerful people ready to exhibit their might. So, as a result, today we witness the quaint but modest old town of Quito and the grand and opulent albeit worn out central Bogota.
- Pros:Gold or hides its all there for you to enjoy
- Cons:Weather suggests it is an island not a continent
- In a nutshell:A cosmos of Latin living
The city of red bricks is a fitting nick name for Bogota. An airplane flight reveals that the preferred material for... more travel advice
Shopping in Bogota for sure revolves around cow products. This comes as no surprise considering how what an “Alpine”... more travel advice
Assenczo's Related Pages
Bogotá Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bogota Revealed"
- "The Heart of Colombia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bogotá
- Hotels in Bogotá
- Transportation in Bogotá
- Nightlife in Bogotá
- Restaurants in Bogotá
- Shopping in Bogotá
- Warnings and Dangers in Bogotá
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bogotá
- 5 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (31)
Have you been to Bogotá?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bogotá
Photos in BogotáSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Luang Prabang Intro, 7 reviews, 32 photos
- Hanoi Intro, 7 reviews, 27 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 9 reviews, 24 photos
- Brunei Intro, 7 reviews, 26 photos
- Molokai Intro, 6 reviews, 27 photos
- Oslo Intro, 8 reviews, 24 photos
- Yogyakarta Intro, 6 reviews, 26 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skaftafell Intro, 5 reviews, 25 photos
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 9 reviews, 20 photos
- Cape Town Intro, 8 reviews, 19 photos