"Carribbean's most precious" Cartagena by Assenczo
Cartagena Travel Guide: 561 reviews and 1,574 photos
Cartagena was a legend and many people including the notorious Sir Francis Drake craved to have a piece of it. Nowadays the city still has its charms carefully looked after by the new Colombia and its dawning emphasis on luring more tourists. Most of the old city is propped up, painted and decorated. Many gorgeous colonial houses have been turned into hotels and the walls still surround most of its upmarket areas. There is the poorer side of town where the investor’s money has not reached for whatever reasons but this is rather an advantage for the foreigner who could have a very visual example of how it used to be in the olden days. What makes Cartagena even more desirable is the fact that despite its tourist inclinations it does not feel overrun by the trade. Some odd cruise ship would dump the regular batch of couch potatoes from time to time but their numbers are so insignificant that they are diluted immediately in the torrent of everyday hustle and bustle. Most of the visitors are Colombian and this gives the whole atmosphere very local dimension. So, pack up your bags and investigate before the masses have flooded the gates.
- Pros:Spanish colonial heritage preserved and cared for
- Cons:Touts wanting to be part of the tourism industry
- In a nutshell:Running neck and neck with Havana for the #1 spot in the Carribbean
Probably many people consider visiting Colombia due to their impression of Garcia Marquez’s writings. Or on the other... more travel advice
The “tourist plaza” gives a chance to come across a Botero production which is a blessing both ways - whether one is... more travel advice
Assenczo's Related Pages
Cartagena Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Love in the time of Cartagena"
- "Cartagena de Indias"
- "Cartagenita linda"
- "Cartagena de las Indias"
- "CARTAGENA DE INDIAS"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cartagena
- Hotels in Cartagena
- Transportation in Cartagena
- Nightlife in Cartagena
- Restaurants in Cartagena
- Shopping in Cartagena
- Warnings and Dangers in Cartagena
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cartagena
- 9 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (31)
Have you been to Cartagena?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cartagena
Photos in CartagenaSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Luang Prabang Intro, 7 reviews, 32 photos
- Hanoi Intro, 7 reviews, 27 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 9 reviews, 24 photos
- Brunei Intro, 7 reviews, 26 photos
- Molokai Intro, 6 reviews, 27 photos
- Oslo Intro, 8 reviews, 24 photos
- Yogyakarta Intro, 6 reviews, 26 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skaftafell Intro, 5 reviews, 25 photos
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 9 reviews, 20 photos
- Cape Town Intro, 8 reviews, 19 photos