"Gateway to the Viracocha digs" Copacabana by Assenczo
Copacabana Travel Guide: 146 reviews and 293 photos
Copacabana is one place that has the chances to intrigue many people by the sheer coincidence with another location – Rio de Janeiro. Yet, the name resemblance is the only thing in common that the two places have. The difference in altitude hovers around the 3600m mark. The water is cold and fresh; the beach minute; the waves – non existent.
The urban area is modest. It offers a glimpse of Bolivian society in general. Next to each other are mighty hotel complexes and crumbling peasant houses. Dust is everywhere – rich and poor have equally distributed amounts of this precious commodity.
Coming on August 6th, Independence Day could give a more urgent twist to life in Copacabana. Apparently, there are not enough cabanas to accommodate all the guests properly. This leads to improper use of the beach – soap bathing in the lake, peeing in broad day light (these fellows do not seem to have the need of a tree). On the other side, business is thriving – in the stores and amongst the pickpocket freelancers (so they say). The virgin comes out in the open being covered with precious gifts and fake money. The procession is noisy and colourful – the devils get the best suits though. The climax of the festivity needs a climax of its own and it finds it on the summit of the neighbouring hill – another climax.
- Pros:It is on the gringo trail
- Cons:You gotta drag this luggage of yours up the hill
- In a nutshell:Titicaca port with lots of local musty flavour
Extending your neck and peeking in somebody else’s backyard might enlighten you on the matters of poverty and at the... more travel advice
Do not be surprised when you see males peeing right on the beach of Copacabana in broad day light. It seems to be the... more travel advice
Assenczo's Related Pages
Copacabana Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A little too early or too late in Copacabana"
- "COPACABANA TOWN..."
- "Copacabana and the Lake Titicaca Area"
- "At the Copacabana"
- "Beach and pilgrims"
- "Copacabana. Church"
- "lake titicaca"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Copacabana
- Hotels in Copacabana
- Transportation in Copacabana
- Nightlife in Copacabana
- Restaurants in Copacabana
- Shopping in Copacabana
- Warnings and Dangers in Copacabana
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Copacabana
- 4 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Copacabana?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Copacabana
Photos in CopacabanaSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Brunei Intro, 7 reviews, 26 photos
- Molokai Intro, 6 reviews, 27 photos
- Oslo Intro, 8 reviews, 24 photos
- Yogyakarta Intro, 6 reviews, 26 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skaftafell Intro, 5 reviews, 25 photos
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 9 reviews, 20 photos
- Cape Town Intro, 8 reviews, 19 photos
- Bergen Intro, 6 reviews, 21 photos
- Kauai Intro, 6 reviews, 20 photos
- Cartagena Intro, 9 reviews, 17 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (8)
Latest Copacabana hotel reviews
- Hotel Rosario Del Lago
- 153 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013