"Downtown altitude sickness" La Paz by Assenczo
La Paz Travel Guide: 376 reviews and 882 photos
La Paz is struggling at least formally to receive this special recognition of being a capital of a nation – not that it matters, most of the people take it as a fact anyway. What it strikes the visitor with is not the stateliness of its boulevards, shi-shi shopping or cosmopolitan feel. It is not even the ritzy area so well emphasized by the city tours. What grabs your imagination is that favela living with the most perfect view. From your door step you can look DOWN upon the miserables in the city center and they on the other hand can lust after your precarious position and wonder whether you will be still there after the next year’s rainy season. Moreover, the rumour has it, the place is quite affordable.
The main plaza has a more “normal” appearance. The usual colonial outfit, brightly painted and generally in a very good shape. It is a lovely location for people watching and shoe shining as well. One of the most distinctive elements of La Paz is its shoe-shining boys inspired by ninja movies and wearing the respective balaclavas. How do they think this outfit facilitates their business is beyond me. Anyway, 1-2 bolivianos is a good investment after a gruelling day in the dusty back alleys of the Cordillera Real. You do not want to feel out of place in your hotel where only the ultimate boors would not have their shoes shining like a full moon over Illimani.
- Pros:Staggering location
- Cons:You do not want to look at details
- In a nutshell:Illimani vista plus soroche
Plaza Murillo, La Paz’s Plaza de Armas, contains the Presidential Palace. Its neighbour is the Cathedral. Tucked away... more travel advice
Fast, dramatic and scenic flight from Santiago to La Paz with one stop at Iquque is what LAN has to offer. I would take... more travel advice
Assenczo's Related Pages
La Paz Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "SIMPLY, THIS..."
- "La Paz - City with a View"
- "A little glimpse of La Paz"
- "La cuenca de La Paz"
- "Getting a little trim in La Paz"
- "Cerca del Cielo"
- "BOLIVIA, POOR COUNTRY WITH A BIG HEART"
- See All...
- Things to Do in La Paz
- Hotels in La Paz
- Transportation in La Paz
- Nightlife in La Paz
- Restaurants in La Paz
- Shopping in La Paz
- Warnings and Dangers in La Paz
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in La Paz
- 4 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to La Paz?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in La Paz
Photos in La PazSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Brunei Intro, 7 reviews, 26 photos
- Oslo Intro, 8 reviews, 24 photos
- Yogyakarta Intro, 6 reviews, 26 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skaftafell Intro, 5 reviews, 25 photos
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 9 reviews, 20 photos
- Cape Town Intro, 8 reviews, 19 photos
- Bergen Intro, 6 reviews, 21 photos
- Cartagena Intro, 9 reviews, 17 photos
- Dominica Intro, 5 reviews, 21 photos
- Granada Intro, 7 reviews, 19 photos