"The town with the gardens" Bogor by Assenczo
Bogor Travel Guide: 184 reviews and 505 photos
Bogor is located at some considerable distance from Jakarta in the ?hills? lining up the southern rim of Java. The attraction from point of view of the colonial authorities, in this case curiously the British, was the cooler climate in otherwise hot and humid Jakarta and environs. It is no coincidence that Mr. Raffles being a real gentleman quickly identified the value of the property and undertook to establish one of the best botanical gardens in this part of the world. The garden has huge variety of enormous trees from distant parts of the world some of them as old as the estate itself. The unfortunate moment is the lack of the Rafflesia itself ? quite a fitting tribute to the seafarer-cum-colonial administrator ? cum-botanist. This elusive flower is the largest orchid in the world with the largest flower petals (around one meter!) and some very distinctive stench coming out of it. At the time of visit it was not available despite the fact that Rough Guide states the opposite. As a consolation you get to peek at the presidential palace in the openings of the leafy paradise under the deafening screeches of local crickets.
Assenczo's Related Pages
Bogor Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "B O G O R"
- "WELCOME to BOGOR a RAIN CITY"
- "Welcome to Bogor, The Rain City"
- "Apple pie , the gardens , safari..."
- "Istana Bogor"
- "My home in Ciawi. Bogor"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bogor
- Hotels in Bogor
- Transportation in Bogor
- Nightlife in Bogor
- Restaurants in Bogor
- Shopping in Bogor
- Warnings and Dangers in Bogor
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bogor
- 0 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (44)
Have you been to Bogor?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bogor
Photos in BogorSee All Photos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Luang Prabang Intro, 7 reviews, 32 photos
- Hanoi Intro, 7 reviews, 27 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 9 reviews, 24 photos
- Brunei Intro, 7 reviews, 26 photos
- Molokai Intro, 6 reviews, 27 photos
- Oslo Intro, 8 reviews, 24 photos
- Yogyakarta Intro, 6 reviews, 26 photos
- Paramaribo Intro, 6 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skaftafell Intro, 5 reviews, 25 photos
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 9 reviews, 20 photos