"Haunting Past" Borobudur by Assenczo
Borobudur Travel Guide: 191 reviews and 643 photos
Borobudur is certainly living up to its reputation. This gracious palace built on a hill presiding over the surrounding valley of tropical Java is a sight worthy of many superlatives. It has the scale of proportions and intricacy of detail to turn into the legend which it unquestionably is. Despite the fact that it has undergone a major restoration, it still has the power of conviction and draws the crowds accordingly. The whole second tier has been demolished, stuffed with concrete and put back together. While the knowledge of this fact dims the excitement of corresponding with the past directly it surely shores it up against the many tremors of the nearby volcanoes and other unpleasant surprises that nature might offer. The lack of monks is something that points out the artificiality of the situation ? no coincidence in Muslim majority neighbourhood. As if to make up for the loss, the authorities are making the wearing of a sarong a compulsory activity- why not since the visitors are most likely to be infidels anyway; so no skin off their pious majesties, Allah followers. Here is probably the best time to mention that local Muslim tradition in its most outwardly aspect is quite different from the original Arab version. Locals seem to be unable to part with their Buddhist past and the calls to prayer and the prayers themselves sound more like chanting than the Muslim drawn-out recitatives. A peculiar feeling is provided by a walk at night on the grounds of one of the major Buddhist temples in the world accompanied by the chanting choir of the neighbouring mosques as if to underline that in essence nothing much has changed around here.
- Pros:Great introduction to past influences on Java
- Cons:A bit too perfect to be true
- In a nutshell:Startling revelation of Indian culture venturing south-east
Buddha is one of these Christ-like wonder creatures who were born with out-of-this-world qualities (walking straight... more travel advice
Assenczo's Related Pages
Borobudur Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Under Contruction - Raffles' Other Discovery"
- "Borobudur, lost in time"
- "IMPREXXION: YOGYAKARTA-BOROBUDOR-PRAMBANAN"
- "Central Java - Borobudur"
- "Magical Borobudur"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Borobudur
- Hotels in Borobudur
- Transportation in Borobudur
- Nightlife in Borobudur
- Restaurants in Borobudur
- Shopping in Borobudur
- Warnings and Dangers in Borobudur
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Borobudur
- 2 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (44)
Have you been to Borobudur?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Borobudur
Photos in BorobudurSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Luang Prabang Intro, 7 reviews, 32 photos
- Hanoi Intro, 7 reviews, 27 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 9 reviews, 24 photos
- Brunei Intro, 7 reviews, 26 photos
- Molokai Intro, 6 reviews, 27 photos
- Oslo Intro, 8 reviews, 24 photos
- Yogyakarta Intro, 6 reviews, 26 photos
- Paramaribo Intro, 6 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skaftafell Intro, 5 reviews, 25 photos
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 9 reviews, 20 photos