"The center of it all" Jakarta by Assenczo
Jakarta Travel Guide: 1,351 reviews and 2,714 photos
Jakarta is the capital and major city on the islands of the Indonesian/Malayan archipelago and as such becomes a center of things all Indonesian and beyond. It has the typical fervour of similar huge urban areas plus the added buzz from the inefficient transport system forcing myriads of cars and motorbikes on the streets vying for space and time. Predictably, it is a mish-mash of modernity, colonial remnants, local grandomania and outright misery. To add to the mix one has to mention the pervasive humidity even in the dry season and the smoggy atmosphere accompanied by the prayer calls of mullahs and street vendor/manufacture action. Major activities for the visitor include the dilapidated by now Dutch colonial center, the Merdeka square with the ?Sukarno?s last erection? thing, the local Champs Elisee boulevard and of course the many shopping malls lining it.
- Pros:All of Indonesia at your finger tips
- Cons:Trafic, trafic, trafic
- In a nutshell:Contrasts abound solely for the entertainment of the visitor
This is not just an airport ? it is a statement! In the modern network of look-alike airports designed by the same glass... more travel advice
Batavia is the old center of Dutch Jakarta. It is in a rather pitiful state as many of the historic buildings are... more travel advice
Assenczo's Related Pages
Jakarta Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wonderful people in a hectic, polluted megalopolis"
- "Enjoy Jakarta"
- "the big doerian. ;-)"
- "Jakarta, The Megapolitan"
- "Jakarta - Indonesia's Melting Pot"
- "My 2nd Home"
- "A Sight of Jakarta"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Jakarta
- Hotels in Jakarta
- Transportation in Jakarta
- Nightlife in Jakarta
- Restaurants in Jakarta
- Shopping in Jakarta
- Warnings and Dangers in Jakarta
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Jakarta
- 6 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (44)
Have you been to Jakarta?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Jakarta
Photos in JakartaSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Luang Prabang Intro, 7 reviews, 32 photos
- Hanoi Intro, 7 reviews, 27 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 9 reviews, 24 photos
- Brunei Intro, 7 reviews, 26 photos
- Molokai Intro, 6 reviews, 27 photos
- Oslo Intro, 8 reviews, 24 photos
- Yogyakarta Intro, 6 reviews, 26 photos
- Paramaribo Intro, 6 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skaftafell Intro, 5 reviews, 25 photos
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 9 reviews, 20 photos