"The unknown Indonesia" Tanjungkarang-Telukbetung by Assenczo
Tanjungkarang-Telukbetung Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 42 photos
Bandar Lampung is a town at the southern end of the giant island of Sumatra. Being at the end of something it is presumed to be marginal but there is nothing to prepare you for the local reality. Most visitors to Indonesia are dutifully steered to places like Bali or Yogyakarta, centers of wealth and ensuing culture for centuries that has translated into a successful business in modern tourism industry. Bandar is completely different world with its lack of contact with the outside world to such an extent that when people see you on the street they do not stop staring at you. Such is the star power of the white man that they see every day on TV suddenly released into their midst. When tried to be promoted Bandar is awkward to the utmost. First it is a new name that combines two towns previously existing separately ? one at the seaside the other on the hills above. This makes it difficult to find it on maps, search engines etc. Than follows the attempt on part of the local authorities to search for something of impressive substance and the find is the Krakatau volcano which unfortunately despite its fatal influence on the city is quite far away and the infrastructure connecting it to the city is mediocre at best. So what is left of this effort is a buoy that was flushed during the epic eruption almost a century ago up the hill, nicely cemented on its own pedestal. A third attempt is made to make something out of a wildlife safari in ?nearby? park that is almost impossible to reach and where you might see animals ?if you are lucky? at the end of a gruelling journey. The local museum tries to sum up whatever has already been lost because despite the obvious remoteness of the town it has not retained any charms from previous époques and instead has been hazed up in humid dust-fume concoction and deaf-muted by the myriad motor bikes plying its streets.
- Pros:Wildly remote despite being a harbour in the Sunda straits
- Cons:White people are center of too much attention
- In a nutshell:Indonesia as real as it can be
For a creature raised in well-developed city context a visit to Bandar can be a window to another era. The posh and poor... more travel advice
The local museum is an eye opener into the current situation. First it presents an interesting exercise in dealing with... more travel advice
Assenczo's Related Pages
Tanjungkarang-Telukbetung Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to Bandar Lampung a Twin City"
- "The unknown Indonesia"
- "Otherwise known as Bandar Lampung"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tanjungkarang-Telukbetung
- Hotels in Tanjungkarang-Telukbetung
- Transportation in Tanjungkarang-Telukbetung
- Restaurants in Tanjungkarang-Telukbetung
- See All...
Nearby Travel Guides
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tanjungkarang-Telukbetung
- 6 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (44)
Have you been to Tanjungkarang-Telukbetung?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tanjungkarang-Telukbetung
Photos in Tanjungkarang-TelukbetungSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Luang Prabang Intro, 7 reviews, 32 photos
- Hanoi Intro, 7 reviews, 27 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 9 reviews, 24 photos
- Brunei Intro, 7 reviews, 26 photos
- Molokai Intro, 6 reviews, 27 photos
- Oslo Intro, 8 reviews, 24 photos
- Yogyakarta Intro, 6 reviews, 26 photos
- Paramaribo Intro, 6 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skaftafell Intro, 5 reviews, 25 photos
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 9 reviews, 20 photos