"Tafraoute" Tafraoute by tarou2004

Tafraoute Travel Guide: 55 reviews and 185 photos

Tafraoute is a very relaxed town located on the Amlen Valley and surrounded by the Anti Atlas mountains .It is a perfect place for hiking in the hills and berber villages around it. The town can be reached on roads from Tiznit (107km), Agadir (298 km), by buses or grand taxis, however, it is recommended to have your own
transportation.

I’ve been to Tafraoute many times, my last visit was in April 2002, I was accompanied by my friends Najib and Carl. It took us 3h30 to get there. The road is fascinating, the villages are spectacular, some of them in the most unlikely places.

We have stayed in Hotel Redouan, a cheap accommodation but a nice staff, the first day there we walked around the town which is a small one, the people are nice, the next day we have driven to the painted rocks and le chapeau de Napoléon which are the main attraction of the region as well as the Amlen Valley and the formation of the rocks.

The town is famous for the painted rocks; this work was done by a Belgian artist named Jean Veran. As soon as we reached there I noticed how crazy was that Idea, painting so many rocks in different colors, but the work was so beautiful having especially the color of the sea and the sky on the rocks. That work was done in 1984, but the reasons for that still vague for me; Jean was helped by people to get such achievement!
As soon as we finished hiking in the Amlen valley and watching thepainted rocks , We decided to take more and more look on a wonderful and distinctive rock, It is named “ la chapeau de Napoleon” (Napoleon’s hat )as it is shaped as aHat , the rock is at the entry of the town; about 4 km away, close to a village called “Agrd ouadad”.

At the same day, we have spotted “the carved gazelle” on a rock; it is a beautiful carving on a hill on the road of Tazka; the drawing was simple, ancient but beautiful; on other direction, we saw “the lion face», it is the tope of mountain shaped as a lion’s head, the view was spectacular.

Afterwards, We paid a short visit for “the maison traditionelle” in the village of Oumsnat, his owner is a blind man named Si abdesslam, he decided to open his house for visitor, the house is believed to be built some 400 years ago; but it really looked -for me and Najib- as any other house in the southern countryside. Mustapha (abdesselam son) showed us the house which is a three storey; it contains a traditional kitchen, guest’s room, a hammam, a roof, and other rooms, as well as a place for the goats and sheep. He introduces us some old agriculture materials .It was really an interesting visit!

Our best journey was to the village of Tassrisrt, it is about 30km from the town. In our way, we had thought there would be a little chance to find a source of water, as the villages we passed by were very dry. But we were wrong. We arrived in beautiful gorges in Tlate of Tassrirt with a beautiful oasis, it was an impressive landscape! We enjoyed watching the palm filled valley; the birds singing and the pleasant mountains about touching each others for 6 km which make a great shadow! The scenery was really picturesque!

• Last visit to Tafraoute: Apr 2002
  • Intro Updated Jan 30, 2005

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Aug 2, 2010 at 3:26 PM

nice page - hope you will be back on VTsoon as I see you havent been logged in here since last year! all the best

• sachara's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2005 at 11:14 AM

Wonderful page, Driss ! I like the beautiful pictures and the informative writings a lot ! You are also building nice travelogues, I see.

• mickeyjane1's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2005 at 12:24 AM

well done, Driss. A really good page, love the pics of you and Najib.

tarou2004

“tarou”

Ranked Member

Badges & Stats in Tafraoute

Have you been to Tafraoute?

Latest Activity in Tafraoute