"WELCOME TO MY COUNTY KILKENNY PAGE ......:-)" County Kilkenny by eden_teuling
County Kilkenny Travel Guide: 363 reviews and 825 photos
KILKENNY undoubtedly is one of IRELAND'S most amazing & breathtakingly beautiful cities....
It's there that I visited KILKENNY CASTLE : an amazing place, a dream....
I took my time where possible because no one can roam about there: a guided tour is obligatory!
But, after an explanation (audio/visual and a short explanation by the guide, the tour started and was great: here too, the man was cut out for his job: he gave us all (we were quite a group of many different nationalities ) a splendid tour: a real joy.
The CASTLE is regal and majestic but also so ancient, so dignified....
This ORMONDE CASTLE , over looking the dark river NORE , was sort of sentinel at this important river crossing for maybe 900 years....
It is fully restored and furnished now and a conducted tour here is one of Ireland's most important attractions...
The CASTLE also contains an Art Gallery and during the summer season a café......
The groundfloor and the autio-visual room are accessible for wheelchairs
Here you see a POSTCARD : she was far too high up in THE LONG GALLERY and although my telelense helped me: it was far too dark.......
The day I visited here the wind was galeforce 7 and I was afraid it would take off the roof......I could not only hear the wind but also feel it blowing and flowing through this LONG GALLERY.
High up in the Gallery is the pointed roof, with glass and these most wonderfully carved and painted oak beams in an intricate pattern.
Originally the Castle was only a ROMANESQUE FORT , but bit by bit it grew and we now can see this fully grown CASTLE....completely restored.....
In THE LONG GALLERY are many portrets and the guide mentioned all the important names, but that was really too much to keep in mind.... I also remember that the enormous tapestries were gorgeous and (being textile!) still in good condition!
One of the unexpected delights of this city is the soace set aside for PARKLAND
The FAIR GREEN lends a delightfully RURAL ambience to teh city's heart!
Imagine that only a few decades ago farmers used to parade their PRIZE CATTLE through the streets.
When the Earl of ORMONDE sold Kilkenny Castle to the STATE (for a nominal sum!) in 1967, he insisted that the great rolling parklands laid down by his ancestor in the 17th Century be retained for the use of the citizens of Kilkenny.
This was a tremendous boost for the city, take that from me.....it adds so much extra quality...
There are mighty OAK & BEECH TREES planted more than 200 years ago..
Despite the many rainy days......I always enjoy an early stay in Ireland.
It is because of this enormous quantities of rain and the influence of the GULF STREAM along the west coast that this country of friendly people, breathtaking natural beauty, music and dance is so rich in FLORA.....
Here you see the ULEX EUROPAEUS, in Irish FURZE OR WHINS OR GORSE........
Sometimes whole valleys and slopes are covered in yellow........so sweet to the eye and such an advantage of SPRING.......
I also have most wonderful photographs of this plants in e.g. my FRANCE page ....feel free to have a look there..........
and.....the France variety is SO SWEET SMELLING.........
- Pros:OH, JUST EVERYTHING .....IT IS SUCH A RICH COUNTRY & COUNTY......
- Cons:NONE.....OR PERHAPS THE PERSISTENT RAIN SOMETIMES......
- In a nutshell:AN ABSOLUTE MUSTMUSTMUST
This is a brand new railway heritage "product" for tourists and.... a great one. It is situated in WATERFORD. This... more travel advice
This CAVE, with its imposing entrance, has been known of centuries but it is only comparatively recently that it has... more travel advice
Written Jan 17, 2005
ABOUT KILKENNY CASTLE......
Written Oct 26, 2003
A BIT ABOUT CAVES......
eden_teuling's Related Pages
County Kilkenny Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "County Kilkenny"
- "WELCOME TO MY COUNTY KILKENNY PAGE ......:-)"
- "Churches in Co. Kilkenny"
- "Hurling, hurling, hurling and.....Cats (Laughing)"
- "Kilkenny - Cill Chainnigh"
- See All...
- Things to Do in County Kilkenny
- Hotels in County Kilkenny
- Transportation in County Kilkenny
- Nightlife in County Kilkenny
- Restaurants in County Kilkenny
- Shopping in County Kilkenny
- Warnings and Dangers in County Kilkenny
- See All...
Badges & Stats in County Kilkenny
- 13 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to County Kilkenny?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in County Kilkenny
Photos in County KilkennySee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Netherlands Intro, 38 reviews, 347 photos, 22 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 70 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 74 reviews, 105 photos, 4 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 50 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- The Hague Intro, 51 reviews, 123 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 59 reviews, 107 photos, 6 travelogues
- Rotterdam Intro, 53 reviews, 109 photos, 5 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 56 reviews, 100 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 44 reviews, 111 photos, 8 travelogues
- France Intro, 14 reviews, 140 photos, 14 travelogues