"WELCOME TO MY BREDA PAGE ......:-)" Breda by eden_teuling
Breda Travel Guide: 437 reviews and 1,131 photos
This is what BREDA, a lovely city in the South of The Netherlands often is called: HET HAAGJE VAN HET ZUIDEN.
Lots of cities in The Netherlands and in Flanders have BEGUINAGES but in the BARONIESTAD (as Breda often is called) is the only BEGUINAGE were you will still find several BEGUINES.
You can find this BEGUINAGE: in the Catharinastraat and it is very worthy of a visit.
It is possible to have a look at one of the little houses which is a sort of MUSEUM.....where you can see how the BEGUINES lived and still live....
This is also a place where the little WATERSTAATKERKJE, built in 1837, still exists.
BREDA is a city with SOUTHERN atmosphere, dash and elegance.
Follow this LINK to my HAARLEM PAGE where you will find 48 BEGUINAGES....
Follow this LINK to my BRUGGE (BELGIUM) PAGE to find its BEGUINAGE.....
A historic place......because behind this building there is water and a GATE......A WATERGATE located between DE GRANAATTOREN and de DUIVENTOREN.......
It was here that HET TURFSCHIP entered BREDA in 1590, which made Prince Maurits the conqueror in the War with the Spanish!
He used an ancient trick: he hided his soldiers underneath lots of peat and the ship was allowed to enter the city and guess what: the soldiers jumped out of the ship and surprised the Spanish!
Of course this trick makes us think of THE TROJAN HORSE in HOMER'S DAYS..........but it worked there and in Breda!
Hans & me: taking each other's picuture in BREDA......
It was a great and festive meeting that 11th October 2003!
THERE ARE 2 TRAVELOGUES...
- Pros:A PRETTY CITY, WITH LOTS TO EXPLORE & ENJOY, WHERE IT IS GOOD TO BE....
- In a nutshell:THERE IS MORE THAN AMSTERDAM....BREDA E.G.: DO GO THERE & DISCOVER ITS SPECIALITIES....
About 1246 there must have been a HOSPITAL, GUESTHOUSE here.....till 1530 outside of the citywalls and after that time... more travel advice
HET KASTEEL, from another angle but....the best place to see it in its glory! From The Valkenberg park, over the... more travel advice
Written Jan 14, 2005
11th OCTOBER 2003 VT MEETING IN BREDA.....
Written Jan 14, 2005
MEETING PART 2
eden_teuling's Related Pages
Breda Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The VT Meeting that got Bigger and Bigger."
- "Nathalie_B's former "hometown""
- "My Hometown"
- "BEAUTIFUL BREDA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Breda
- Hotels in Breda
- Transportation in Breda
- Nightlife in Breda
- Restaurants in Breda
- Shopping in Breda
- Warnings and Dangers in Breda
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Breda
- 18 Reviews
- 37 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Breda?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Breda
Top 10 Pages
- Netherlands Intro, 38 reviews, 347 photos, 22 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 70 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 74 reviews, 105 photos, 4 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 50 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- The Hague Intro, 51 reviews, 123 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 59 reviews, 107 photos, 6 travelogues
- Rotterdam Intro, 53 reviews, 109 photos, 5 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 56 reviews, 100 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 44 reviews, 111 photos, 8 travelogues
- France Intro, 14 reviews, 140 photos, 14 travelogues
Latest Breda hotel reviews
- Campanile - Breda
- 22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 19, 2013
- Apollo Hotel Breda City Centre
- 73 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2013
- Premiere Classe Hotel Breda
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 22, 2013
- Golden Tulip Keyser Breda
- 54 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 28, 2013
- Golden Tulip Mastbosch Hotel Breda
- 21 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 19, 2013
- B&B Aan de Singelgracht
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 19, 2013