"WELCOME TO MY WATERLOO PAGE...." Waterloo by eden_teuling
Waterloo Travel Guide: 55 reviews and 137 photos
I suppose we all know the place / word WATERLOO but do we ever realise how IMPORTANT this now quite insignificant place once was??
Visiting BRUSSELS it is some 40-50 km. more to the south where you will find WATERLOO.
The BONAPARTE family originated from CORSICA .
Don't we all know the short man NAPOLEON BONAPARTE ??
The BONAPARTE family had many children and a lot of them influenced the political situation in EUROPE!
THIS mount of earth with a LION ON TOP is the monument......for what happened here 18th June 1815.
NAPOLEON I MET HIS WATERLOO HERE !!
I walked these cobblestones to have a good look at the MONUMENT and to get the feeling of the IMPORTANCE OF THIS PLACE....
Waht happened here changed so much.........here in Europe.
NAPOLEON BONAPARTE / BUONAPARTE lived from 1769 - 1821.
He was a French political and military LEADER, always with his hand in his jacket at breast height!
ACTUALLY HE WAS A DICTATOR....we have had many of these and they never brought much good.....on the contrary! And....this Napoleon I was no exception.
Having said this I must add that he also did some very good things.....I want / have to be fair...
He reorganized the State, codified the laws into the CODE NAPOL?ON and.....had himself created EMPEROR .
He ruled almost the complete CONTINENT at a certain time and placed many of his family members on several European thrones.
But.... he was defeated by NELSON at TRAFALGAR in 1805.
He tried to prevent trade with BRITAIN by his CONTINENTAL SYSTEM (1806 - 1812) and things went worse for him, bit by bit....
He tried to invade Spain and Russia (don't we call this hunger for other people's land and power MEGALOMANY ???
And....DOESN'T PRIDE GO BEFORE A FALL????
He lost most of his army and was defeated at LEIPZIG by the NEW EUROPEAN ALLIANCE.
He then had to abdicate in 1814 and was exiled to ELBA .
(New / other dictators came to power after Napoleon and I fear that there always will be DICTATORS!)
This is the lion on top of the MONUMENT, which btw you can climb. I mean, the Monument, not the Lion......
And,... do so, it will give you a good impression of the lovely countryside where once Napoleon's DICTATORSHIP ended where LITERALLY he met his Waterloo.
He returned to FRANCE for 100 days (THE HUNDRED DAYS RULE)
but this ended in DEFEAT 18th June 1815 HERE AT WATERLOO
For the second and last time he was exciled to ST. HELENA where he died.
HOW USELESS and what a waste of energy and time to spend a lifetime waging war after war!! (Yes, he did some good things...)
He must in a way have been INSANE, but clever!
HERE THE NAPOLEONTIC WARS ENDED
- Pros:SIMPLE, LITTLE VILLAGE BUT ONCE AND FOR ALWAYS CONNECTED WITH HISTORY....
- In a nutshell:WORTHY OF YOUR VISIT.....
eden_teuling's Related Pages
Waterloo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Waterloo, its battlefields and its lion"
- "Napoleon did surrender"
- "Visiting Waterloo by air"
- "Where Napoleon faced his final defeat"
- "The battlefield of Waterloo"
- "Butte du Lion in Waterloo"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Waterloo
- Transportation in Waterloo
- Restaurants in Waterloo
- Shopping in Waterloo
- Warnings and Dangers in Waterloo
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Waterloo
- 0 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Waterloo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Waterloo
Top 10 Pages
- Netherlands Intro, 38 reviews, 347 photos, 22 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 70 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 74 reviews, 105 photos, 4 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 50 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- The Hague Intro, 51 reviews, 123 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 59 reviews, 107 photos, 6 travelogues
- Rotterdam Intro, 53 reviews, 109 photos, 5 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 56 reviews, 100 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 44 reviews, 111 photos, 8 travelogues
- France Intro, 14 reviews, 140 photos, 14 travelogues