"WELCOME TO MY CLONMACNOISE PAGE......:-)" Clonmacnoise by eden_teuling
Clonmacnoise Travel Guide: 27 reviews and 72 photos
Clonmacnoise is strategically situated at a ESKER at river SHANNON.
An ESKER is a bend wall of rubble/scree which material (sedimentary deposit ) was left at the foot of a gletscher by melting waters....
T.W. Rolleston (1857 - 1920) used the following words, which are from a medieval poem written by Enóg ó Gilláin :
a land of roses,
lies Saint-Ciaráns splendid city,
and all the famous warriors of Erin,
slumber here their last sleep.....
Here in this vast, impressive stretch of green are the ruins of a monastery, in the green, moist meadows bordering river SHANNON.
It is very important to visit this mysterious place early in the morning or in the evening when no other visitors are there and then the quietness is almost palpable....
There was a time that this monastery was still more isolated.
Did it border river Shannon on one side, on the other side it was closed in by peat bog and could only be reached by boat or over the ESKER that is known by the name PILGRIM'S CAUSEWAY
The Monastery was founded about 548 by Saint Ciarán (Kieran).
It wasn't only the most important religious centre for the Celts, but also a centre of Art and Science, known all over Europe, imagine that!
Walking that place now (and I have done so several times..) that idea is thrilling and exciting and at the same time so unimaginable!!
How sad that Saint Ciarán died of the PLAGUE only 7 months after he fiunded the Monastery, at the age of only 33 years......
In the NATIONAL MUSEUM in DUBLIN you can admire treasures from this Holy and once so important centre of Art and Science....
There is a gold and a silver crozier of Clonmacnoise, decorated with o.a. images of animals and plants....
The famous BOOK OF DUN COW one of the most famous manuscripts in Celtic, was written in Clonmacnoise.
Clonmacnoise used to be a CITY OF KINGS and here the HIGH KINGS of TARA and CONNAUGHT were buried.
The last HIGH KING was RORY O'CONOR.
The O'Conor family own CLONALIS HOUSE in Castlerea, one of the last few examples of a so-called CLAN-HOUSE, the seat of old Irish families...
The house can be visited and you can admire silver, gold, porcelain and many MANUSCRIPTS......
One of the most precious objects is the HARP of the 18th Century BARD TURLOUGH O'CAROLAN
As so many places CLONMACNOISE suffered attacks by VIKINGS and NORMANS .
In 1552 the Monastery was destroyed by ....the ENGLISH ....
Inside the walls are: the remnants of a CATHEDRAL, 8 churches, 2 round TOWERS, a respectable number of tomb crosses and for the most beautiful artefacts you have to enter the visitors centre where they will help you in your own language.
something to drink.....
Last but not least :
For much more : SEE MY IRELAND PAGE(S)......and fall in love with Ireland as I did decades ago...... .
- Pros:A REAL MUST, THIS PLACE OF BEAUTY AND QUIETNESS....
- In a nutshell:HISTORIC PLACE, MAKING YOU THINK BACK IN TIME....CENTURIES....
A UNIQUE RAIL JOURNEY OF DISCOVERY IN ANCIENT BOGLAND.... Journey to the heart of BLACKWATER BOG in Co OFFALY. Travel... more travel advice
eden_teuling's Related Pages
Clonmacnoise Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Some great ruins along the Shannon"
- "Clonmacnoise, an early Christian site"
- "WELCOME TO MY CLONMACNOISE PAGE......:-)"
- "Celtic Ireland to the max!"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Clonmacnoise
- 3 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (49)
Have you been to Clonmacnoise?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Clonmacnoise
Top 10 Pages
- Netherlands Intro, 38 reviews, 347 photos, 22 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 70 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 74 reviews, 105 photos, 4 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 50 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- The Hague Intro, 51 reviews, 123 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 59 reviews, 107 photos, 6 travelogues
- Rotterdam Intro, 53 reviews, 109 photos, 5 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 56 reviews, 100 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 44 reviews, 111 photos, 8 travelogues
- France Intro, 14 reviews, 140 photos, 14 travelogues