"WELCOME TO MY MODEST NEWGRANGE PAGE ......:-)" Newgrange by eden_teuling
Newgrange Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 62 photos
NEWGRANGE is, without the shadow of a doubt, one of the most important ARCHAEOLOGICAL SITES of IRELAND and what is more: it is the most important Corridor-GRAVE in the WORLD.
The tomb is corridor shaped and around it a large hill has been built.
This tomb dates back to 3000 BC and is probably 1000 years older than STONEHENGE!
The "tumulus" is on the road side overlooking the river BOYNE AND EXTENSIVE MEADOWS.
Part of the wall around it si quartz and when the sun is shining, you can see the tumulus from afar, which is very impressive and even breathtaking.
This quartz must have been taken from the WICKLOW MOUNTAINS south of DUBLIN , wich means that thousands of tons of these stones must have been brought to NEWGRANGE........how?? by whom??
The tomb has a diameter of a 100 metres and its height in the middle is some 10 metres.
During the centuries and even millennia it had collapsed, but has now been restored with utmost care..
Above the entrance is a ROOF BOX , which is thus that on the shortest day of the year, the sunlight brightens the dark interior some 25 meters further on, for about 15 minutes.
Around the mountain is another circle of huge stones, some of which have been decorated with spirals.
NOTE : there are GUIDED tours to the interior of the tomb. The corridor is about 20 meters in lengths and ends in the GRAVE CHAMBER which in fact consists of 3 chambers which together form a cross.
The spectacular roof vaults are still watertight, which is extremely exceptional.....
The room is decorated with for us unknown motives, which must have had special meaning long, long ago!
At the end of the GUIDED tour the guide lights a lantern to show how it is in there when the sun enters through the roof-box on the shortest day of the year....the solstice.
NEWGRANGE is opened throughout the year and tourists arrive in droves....
Imagine that the days around 21st December, that shortest day has already been fully booked for years...
NEWGRANGE is not the only place with a grave, there are also similar tombs in $s4 Knowth (photograph) and Dowth. %s*
There is also a fake-tomb where tourists visit to protect the real one...which is also done with the famous caves of Lasceau in FRANCE....
Near NEWGRANGE are also some cg 40 TUMULI %c* which form another burial place which is called : BRUGH NA BOINNE , which means : paradise of the Boyne (river)
The prehistoric people who lived here must have been farmers, protected by the river Boyne and also connected with each other via this river.
Of course we can only GUESS what and how rhings happened here, who lived here and what we can believe of the MYTHES that always arise at these places.
The number of characters allowed here is too limited to start telling you some of the MYTHS.........your library will certainly be able to help you, in case you are interested.
- Pros:A SUPERB MUST SEE SITE.....
- In a nutshell:DESPITE THE DROVES OF TOURISTS: GO THERE, UNFORGETTABLE EXPERIENCE.
eden_teuling's Related Pages
Newgrange Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Visiting Ancient Sites"
- "To Go there alone or not, that's no question, ...."
- "A tour of living history"
- "Eszter's Newgrange Page"
- "WELCOME TO MY MODEST NEWGRANGE PAGE ......:-)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Newgrange
- Transportation in Newgrange
- Warnings and Dangers in Newgrange
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Newgrange
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Newgrange?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Newgrange
Top 10 Pages
- Netherlands Intro, 38 reviews, 347 photos, 22 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 70 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 74 reviews, 105 photos, 4 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 50 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- The Hague Intro, 51 reviews, 123 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 59 reviews, 107 photos, 6 travelogues
- Rotterdam Intro, 53 reviews, 109 photos, 5 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 56 reviews, 100 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 44 reviews, 111 photos, 8 travelogues
- France Intro, 14 reviews, 140 photos, 14 travelogues