"WELCOME TO MY MODEST TANUM PAGE......:-)" Tanum by eden_teuling
Tanum Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 3 photos
This is a very modest page but it is about a very important part of an area that is in the World Heritage List .....so very worthwhile!
Arriving in Sweden from southern Norway, BOHUSLåN province is the first one you will meet. It is an area with an ancient civilisaton and many archaeological traces of the BRONZE AGE and VIKING PERIOD.
However, the historic and cultural value of the region is matched by its marvellous scenery - a magnificent indented coastline, scores of islands and great expanses of heath.
TANUM, an archaeological site of exceptional interest , is situated in this region. Here rock carvings dating back to 3000 years ago are still perfectly preserved.
TANUM is part of an area of ROCK CARVINGS from the BRONZE AGE , with 1,500 hitherto known carvings.
This is a rich and distinctive prehistoric pictoral treasury, carved on the smooth exposed rock.
Carved with stone implements in the grey granite which is typically of this region, these ancient images illustrate many aspects of life and society at that time.
Originally they were probably coloured brown and ochre and some sort of grease was used to keep the colour fast , today a red line traced on the carvings helps the visitor to pick out the different images represented.
Many of the scenes depict boats, human beings (the women are recognisable with their long hair and the men with their extremely obvious sexual parts) , animals of different types and hunting scemes.
The ROCK CARVINGS in TANUM were inscribed on the WORLD HERITAGE LIST in 1994 and are a real discovery for who goes there and walks through the woods from on to another....
In TANUM are also innumerable DOMENS......very worthwhile!!
I can strongly recommend this exquisite place to you...
tel. +46 31-60 50 00
Museum: +46 525-209 50
To me this is a very strange sight: sheep walking in the woods...so unfamiliar to me....either because we in The Netherlands don't have any woods anymore (our sheep are on the heath land) or these sheep have joined VT and are wandering about, exploring and discovering like we, VT members, like doing....
Perhaps it is quite normal in a country like Sweden that is so densly wooded........
- Pros:A MOST WONDERFUL, EXCITING DISCOVERY FOR EVERYONE....
- In a nutshell:A REAL MUST FOR MORE THAN ONE REASON....
eden_teuling's Related Pages
Tanum Travel Guide
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Tanum
- 1 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Tanum?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tanum
Top 10 Pages
- Netherlands Intro, 38 reviews, 347 photos, 22 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 70 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 74 reviews, 105 photos, 4 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 50 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- The Hague Intro, 51 reviews, 123 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 59 reviews, 107 photos, 6 travelogues
- Rotterdam Intro, 53 reviews, 109 photos, 5 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 56 reviews, 100 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 44 reviews, 111 photos, 8 travelogues
- France Intro, 14 reviews, 140 photos, 14 travelogues