"WELCOME TO MY ZEELAND PAGE ......:-)" Top 5 Page for this destination Provincie Zeeland by eden_teuling
Provincie Zeeland Travel Guide: 828 reviews and 2,199 photos
A lot of info will soon be here but I started this page to post some photos of my PROVINCE.....in a TRAVELOGUE...
The orange coloured parts (islands) in the map together form my PROVINCE OF ZEELAND.... yes, very wet....
This part of The Netherlands borders BELGIUM and in the east GERMANY borders my Country!
The west is NORTH SEA, from South-West to North-East.......
I wasn't born here but moved quite some years agon from THE HAGUE to MIDDELBURG , the historical Capital of the PROVINCE of ZEELAND.
This province is an agricultural one: it is easy for me because right around the corner is the countryside and are the farmers and fruit growers where I can get fruits and vegetables for our meals......
We have very fine white-sand beaches where droves of holidaymakers come to to enjoy sea, sand, water, wind and ZEELAND.....with its sweet villages, the nice historic capital, dunes and friendly people.....and ME
Lots of activities can be seen or enjoyed, boating, surfing, cycling, walking, sun-bathing and so much more.......you won't feel bored here, not even on a rainy day!
This is the place where I live.....This is the storm surge barrier: part of our FAMOUS DELTA WORKS!
IMPRESSIVE ISN'T IT?? (You can drive over the barrier, which I always do whenever I drive to northern parts of the country! (see map)
Here are 62 gates that can be closed whenever the sea is getting to wild and threatens to take back what we reclaimed from her......and try to keep dry and safe!
In my TRAVELOGUES you can see & read more because there is a lot going on there: you can visit the barrier and go down under the road and into part of the barrier, just to get the feeling of it all!
Only then you will realize what WORKS OF ART these are and feel how it is to live below sea level!
PLEASE SEE MY TRAVELOGUES and do at least spend one day here at the BARRIER: children too, will love visiting because there are lots of exciting things for them too!
In this picture you see my PROVINCE of ZEELAND, a handful of Islands.
The thick black point is where the city of MIDDELBURG (where I live) is situated.
In 1953 the sea, very high winds and spring tide together swept our country and the South Western part (Zeeland and Zuid-Holland) were inundated and during those icy cold Februari days and nights thousands of people died, their houses collapsed, all cattle drowned and it was awful to see how the sea took back what we had taken from her through the ages!
After this disaster THE DELTA PROJECT was started and we didn't want to just close the dykes and dams again but wanted to make the dams and dykes still higher and stronger and in this picture you can see what was done here in Zeeland.
All the white line are new dams and dykes and locks and nr. 8 is the MASTERPIECE OF ART : the storm surge barrier. Our Queen Beatrix came to open it officially in 1986!
Nowadays I can drive over nr. 3 and nr. 8 and nr. 7 and nr. 6 (in some places next to the beach/sea!) when I want to visit Rotterdam, The Hague, Amsterdam or other places in the centre or northern part of the country.
The sea used to come in and go out with the tides, day and night: we were surrounded by salty sea water!
All these works of art are special: in some places the water is still salt because the sea is allowed in, in other places there are now Lakes, like Lake Veere e.g., where used to be the sea, a port for the fishermen and everything that comes with that kind of work....
You will understand that for many people of Zeeland life became very different, they were such rigorous changes!
BUT SAFETY FIRST..................
I shall give you the names:
1. storm surge barrier in the Hollandse
IJssel, finished in 1958
2. The Zandkreekdam finished in 1960
3. The Veerse Gat dam finished in 1961
4. The Grevelingen dam finished in 1965
5. The Volkerak dam finished in 1969
6. The Haringsvliet dam finished in 1971
7. The Brouwers dam finished 1971
8. The Eastern Scheldt storm surge barrier
9. The Philips dam 1987
10. The Markiezaat dyke 1983
11. The Oester dam 1986
12. The Bath Discharge Canel 1987
13. The Maeslant storm surge barrier 1997
These 13 WORKS OF ART together form the DELTA PROJECT.
So whenever here: you can feel safe!
- Pros:A QUIET PROVINCE, FINE BEACHES, SWEET LITTLE VILLAGES AND MIDDELBURG THE CAPITAL.....
- In a nutshell:A FINE PLACE TO RELAX AND ENJOY YOURSELVES, IN EVERY SEASON....
Yes, we do have a Airport called MIDDEN ZEELAND. SKY-DIVE......... I have to admit it is a smal one but......it makes... more travel advice
eden_teuling's Related Pages
Provincie Zeeland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Z E E L A N D"
- "Zomer in Zeeland (summer in Zeeland)"
- "WELCOME TO MY ZEELAND PAGE ......:-)"
- "Luctor et emergo"
- "What's in a name?"
- "History of Schouwen Duiveland and the towns"
- "Coming soon: Bits and pieces of Zeeland"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Provincie Zeeland
- Hotels in Provincie Zeeland
- Transportation in Provincie Zeeland
- Nightlife in Provincie Zeeland
- Restaurants in Provincie Zeeland
- Shopping in Provincie Zeeland
- Warnings and Dangers in Provincie Zeeland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Provincie Zeeland
- 105 Reviews
- 173 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Provincie Zeeland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Provincie Zeeland
Top 10 Pages
- Netherlands Intro, 38 reviews, 347 photos, 22 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 70 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 74 reviews, 105 photos, 4 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 50 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- The Hague Intro, 51 reviews, 123 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 59 reviews, 107 photos, 6 travelogues
- Rotterdam Intro, 53 reviews, 109 photos, 5 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 56 reviews, 100 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 44 reviews, 111 photos, 8 travelogues
- France Intro, 14 reviews, 140 photos, 14 travelogues
Top Provincie Zeeland hotels
- Vlissingen Hotels
- 65 Reviews - 171 Photos
- Middelburg Hotels
- 164 Reviews - 407 Photos
- Terneuzen Hotels
- 16 Reviews - 102 Photos
- Sint Annaland Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Hulst Hotels
- 17 Reviews - 20 Photos
- Veere Hotels
- 87 Reviews - 205 Photos
- Sluis Hotels
- 12 Reviews - 42 Photos
- Zoutelande Hotels
- 10 Hotels
- Zierikzee Hotels
- 15 Reviews - 84 Photos
- Zaamslag Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Wissenkerke Hotels
- 3 Hotels
- Westkapelle Hotels
- 4 Reviews - 8 Photos
- Wemeldinge Hotels
- 1 Hotel
- Vrouwenpolder Hotels
- 6 Reviews - 9 Photos
- Sluiskil Hotels
- 1 Hotel