"WELCOME TO MY MARSEILLE PAGE ......:-)" Marseille by eden_teuling
Marseille Travel Guide: 771 reviews and 1,747 photos
The ancient city of Massalia was founded in 600 BC by Greek sailors who were seeking new territory and were attracted to this superb site with its deep harbour inlet (calaque) surrounded by protective and generous hills!
The town was built to the north of the harbour, called le Vieux Port, an enviable position....
Trade and fishing formed the corner-stones of rge city's wealth which expanded through the excellence of the Greek navigators.
Agriculture also developed and good wine was abundant in Massalia.
The name Massalia was later changed into Marseille but alas, the port became inexorably silted up in the 2nd Century!
For over 150 year the region PROVENCE was divided in two parts of which Arles and Marseille were the capitals.
Once again Marseille saw its trade and maritime activities prosper and its importance expand.
Then, during the 6th Century several epidemics of the plague decimated the population of Marseille.
Of course there is so much more Marseille history to talk about but I won't bother you with that....
Let me tell you that Marseilles was bombarded several times during the Second World War and that some districts around le Vieus Port were extensively damaged!! (Visit the Musée des Docks Romain.......)
Today Marseilles still keeps traces of its tumultuous past; this ancient city is today very active and attractive.
It has powerful charm which encourages us, you and me, to stroll through its old districts around le Vieux Port, in the gardens with the ancient ruins or the gardens of Longchamp Palace and, of course, on the esplanade of Notre-Dame-de-la-Garde Cathedral, overlooking the entire city!
MARSEILLE is a real MUST .....so atmospheric and charming!!
These stairs are leading towards the old quarter of Marseille, built on 3 hills.
The tourist office can give you a folder with a walking tour through this part of the city. It also leads to the magnificent Cathedral that is situated high above the sea, which is a splendid place!
4, la Canebière (next to le Vieux Port)
tel.: 33(0)4 91 13 89 00
PLENTY OF SUNSHINE, BLUE SKIES....that is Marseille at the Mediterranean in the South of France.
This is a detail of the LONGCHAMP PALACE.
In the distance you can see the two spire of the Saint-Vincent-de-Paul church....(worthy of a visit, it is situated at the Canebière)
- Pros:MARSEILLE HAS LOTS TO OFFER YOU IN WINTER AS WELL AS IN SUMMER....
- In a nutshell:A SWEET, CHARMING SURPRISE AT THE MEDITERRANEAN....
Again a place worthy of your visit! You can enjoy the ART of 3 continents!! (Hungry of thirsty?? There is also Le... more travel advice
Nathalie Rouveyrol and her husband created this magnificent shop of SPECIALITIES..... You can see, taste and buy many... more travel advice
eden_teuling's Related Pages
Marseille Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Marseille, 2,500 years of history"
- "Carmen and the Count of Monte Cristo"
- "Marseille: sea, sun and wind ... and diversity!"
- "Marseille - you either love it or hate it...."
- "WELCOME TO MY MARSEILLE PAGE ......:-)"
- "MARSEILLE IN PROVENCE"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Marseille
- Hotels in Marseille
- Transportation in Marseille
- Nightlife in Marseille
- Restaurants in Marseille
- Shopping in Marseille
- Warnings and Dangers in Marseille
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Marseille
- 30 Reviews
- 41 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Marseille?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Marseille
Photos in MarseilleSee All Photos (41)
Top 10 Pages
- Netherlands Intro, 38 reviews, 347 photos, 22 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 70 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 74 reviews, 105 photos, 4 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 50 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- The Hague Intro, 51 reviews, 123 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 59 reviews, 107 photos, 6 travelogues
- Rotterdam Intro, 53 reviews, 109 photos, 5 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 56 reviews, 100 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 44 reviews, 111 photos, 8 travelogues
- France Intro, 14 reviews, 140 photos, 14 travelogues