"WELCOME TO MY HAMBURG PAGE ......:-)" Top 5 Page for this destination Freie und Hansestadt Hamburg by eden_teuling
Freie und Hansestadt Hamburg Travel Guide: 1,528 reviews and 3,636 photos
THE FREE AND HANSEATIC CITY OF HAMBURG and there is so much in these words that there isn't room enought to explain it all.
Let me tell you that HAMBURG is a wonderful city to visit (again and again) : there is the Port, lots of water, it is lively, busy-buzzing, green, vibrant and has so many special, wonderful, exciting things to offer every traveller.....you will hardly know where to start, but....I could help you a little bit.
A bit of HISTORY is necessary here.
HAMMABURG was built in the 9th Century to replace the fortifications and soon became an important trading centre.
There have been many wars, many enormous fires and yet....the city went on growing and prospering, thanks to its geographical position on River Elbe....
Now it is a thriving, busy, pleasant city where it is good to stay for a while to explore it all!
Remember that it isa huge city with 1.8 million inhabitants....on 755 square kilometres.
You will see these figures all over the city, especially around the Main railway station and the city centre: they represent the former the WATER CARRIERS of old times; there must have been hundreds of them and I suppose their lives weren't that easy or pleasant.
Because of the Alster, River Elbe and the many canals, together with the many parks Hamburg has the name of GREEN METROPOLIS AT THE WATER'S EDGE.... btw there are 2.321 bridges you can cross.....the canals are known here as FLEETE
Tourist information and reservations: call 040/30051 -3 00 or write to the Tourismus Zentrale Hamburg GmbH, P.O.Box 102249, 20015 HAMBURG or visit the Tourist Offices, there are 2
1. at the main Railway station
Main exit Kirchenallee open DAILY f7AM - 11PM, including Public Holidays; tel. 040/30051-200 and...
2. at the Port
St. Pauli landing bridges, between bridges 4 - 5 April - October daily 8AM - 7PM, November - March daily 10AM - 6 PM;
Both are easy to be found!
Although HAMBURG is Germany's largest industrial CITY and although its centre was completely destroyed by the GREAT FIRE in 142 and once again during the Second World War in 1943 (by bombing), it is an extraordinarily beautiful city and worthy of your visit at any time of year!
Now you can go on to the TIPS and TRAVELOGUES that I am ready to build with pleasure: sweet memories will relive.....
Before starting a city walk, it is wise and recomendable to BUY A HAMBURG CARD
It is your choice whether you want / need a single ticket, a day ticket, a multi-day ticket of a ticket for a group...but I advise you to by one..... free travel on public transportation (HVV) in Hamburg's metropolitan area, special rates when exploring the city by boat excursions in the port, on the Alster Lake or on guided bustours and...when visiting many other sights. Also free or reduced admission to many museums: doesn't that sound great?
A walk through Hamburg's ALTSTADT starts at the MAINLINE RAILWAY STATION. This has the largest free-span root of any railway station in Germany and measures 120 x 140 metres and has a height of 35 metres.
Under its roofs is a large number of restaurants, kiosks, shops which are all particularly popular because they can stay open longer in the evenings and in the weekends.
Now I have to leave the initiative to you....walk and enjoy as I did.....because of the sheer size of the city you will certainly need more than 1 or 2 days....it is a place to come back to, time and again and each time you will discover new and interesting, exciting things......
And each time you will enjoy THE ATMOSPHERE.....REALLY UNIQUE AND ALWAYS HEARTWARMING....
To end this INTRO with: an old photograph of a WATER CARRIER....called "DER HUMMEL".....
- Pros:EVERYTHING PRO: SUCH A LIVELY, PLEASANT CITY WITH GREEN & WATER AND A LOVELY ALTSTADT....
- Cons:NONE THAT I KNOW OF....
- In a nutshell:A REAL MUST AND NOT ONLY FOR 1 DAY......
From the centre of Hamburg it takes very little time to reach the famous HAGENBECK'S ZOO by underground. (Line U2). This... more travel advice
This MUSEUM houses in an impressive building and was opened in 1877. It contains a collection of international... more travel advice
eden_teuling's Related Pages
Freie und Hansestadt Hamburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "WELCOME TO MY HAMBURG PAGE ......:-)"
- "Freie und Hansestadt Hamburg"
- "Nimm mich mit Kapit?n!"
- "it rains nowhere else like in hamburg"
- "HH - Harbor, History and more"
- "Christmas 2005 in Hamburg"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Freie und Hansestadt Hamburg
- Hotels in Freie und Hansestadt Hamburg
- Transportation in Freie und Hansestadt Hamburg
- Nightlife in Freie und Hansestadt Hamburg
- Restaurants in Freie und Hansestadt Hamburg
- Shopping in Freie und Hansestadt Hamburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Freie und Hansestadt Hamburg
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Freie und Hansestadt Hamburg
- 33 Reviews
- 36 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Freie und Hansestadt Hamburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Freie und Hansestadt Hamburg
Photos in Freie und Hansestadt HamburgSee All Photos (36)
Top 10 Pages
- Netherlands Intro, 38 reviews, 347 photos, 22 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 70 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 74 reviews, 105 photos, 4 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 50 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- The Hague Intro, 51 reviews, 123 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 59 reviews, 107 photos, 6 travelogues
- Rotterdam Intro, 53 reviews, 109 photos, 5 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 56 reviews, 100 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 44 reviews, 111 photos, 8 travelogues
- France Intro, 14 reviews, 140 photos, 14 travelogues