"Wonderful Wollongong" Top 5 Page for this destination Wollongong by austarman
Wollongong Travel Guide: 197 reviews and 586 photos
The most scenic place in Wollongong would have to be the Belmore basin.
This area contains a boat harbour for fishing and sailing boats as well as Wollongong's north and south beaches.
It is also the start of a beachside walking and cycle track that runs for about 14kms.
This is me at the top of the mountain walk that leads to the Minnimurra waterfall in the Minnimurra rainforest.
It is a fairly steep and long walk so at this point I am happy to have made it and relieved to sit down for a rest and enjoy the view.
See my "off the beaten track page" for more Minnimurra info and pics.
About 1 km along Cliff road from the harbour you will find these remnants of an old fort and the park they now sit in know as Battery park.
The two cannons and the partially-excavated underground fortifications are the remnants of a fort built in 1890 to guard the approaches to the harbour.
An earlier battery was established in the 1870s on Flagstaff Hill. Also buried are some coke ovens.
Built in 1875 they were amongst the area's first industrial enterprises.
- Pros:Close to the mountains and the ocean.
- Cons:Has a steelworks and the pollution that goes with it.
- In a nutshell:A curiousity of industry and natural beauty all mixed up
This is the city of Wollongong as taken from the top of nearby Mt Keira. There is only a reasonably narrow strip of land... more travel advice
Many of my fitness campaigns have begun at these saltwater swimming pools near Wollongong harbour. Unfortunately all of... more travel advice
austarman's Related Pages
Wollongong Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Home is where the heart is!"
- "a great carmuseum & more"
- "Wollongong - definitely the best of both worlds!"
- "Nan Tien Temple"
- "Wonderful Wollongong"
- "Between the escarpment and the sea"
- "Wollongong and the Illawara"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wollongong
- Hotels in Wollongong
- Transportation in Wollongong
- Nightlife in Wollongong
- Restaurants in Wollongong
- Shopping in Wollongong
- Warnings and Dangers in Wollongong
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Wollongong
- 11 Reviews
- 44 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Wollongong?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wollongong
Photos in WollongongSee All Photos (44)
Top 10 Pages
- Bali Intro, 28 reviews, 156 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ko Samui Intro, 25 reviews, 137 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ko Phangan Intro, 19 reviews, 105 photos, 2 travelogues
- Phuket Intro, 18 reviews, 73 photos
- Ko Phi Phi Don Intro, 12 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wollongong Intro, 11 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pattaya Intro, 9 reviews, 44 photos
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 10 reviews, 36 photos
- Sydney Intro, 10 reviews, 35 photos
- Ko Samet Intro, 7 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue