"Prasat Khao Phra Wihan" Prasat Preah Vihear by austarman
Prasat Preah Vihear Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 64 photos
This ancient ruined temple was built on the Cambodian side of the Thai/Cambodian border and is situated at the top of a 657metre high cliff on the edge of the Phanom Dongrak mountain range.
It is said that these ruins may date back as far back as the reign of Suriyaworaman 1of Cambodia about 1038 AD.
The ownership of this temple has changed hands several times between the Thai's and the Cambodians but the Cambodians have now been granted ownership of the land by the world court and have had it since 1962.
However this does not stop both Thailand and Cambodia charging everyone admission to go and see it.
Above is a scan of the entrance ticket to enter the ruins.
More information can be found in my "Things to do page."
This photo is taken of my ex-brother in law and myself, on the edge of a 657 metre high cliff that overlooks the Chom Krasan district of Cambodia.
From here you can see a very long way into Cambodia and on a clear day and it is an absolutely magnificent view.
From here you can see for miles:So many roads,small fires and villages.
There are many signs around this area asking tourists not to stray off the pathways, due to the fact that there still may be many un-exploded land mines from the Pol Pot regime.
Here are two of my Thai friends standing among the ruins of the temple.
- Pros:Interesting to see an Ancient world
- Cons:Landmines may still be around
- In a nutshell:A marvel in ancient engineering
austarman's Related Pages
Prasat Preah Vihear Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Preah Vihear in May 2004 and February 2010"
- "Prasat Khao Phra Wihan"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Prasat Preah Vihear
- Hotels in Prasat Preah Vihear
- Transportation in Prasat Preah Vihear
- Warnings and Dangers in Prasat Preah Vihear
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Prasat Preah Vihear
- 1 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Prasat Preah Vihear?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Prasat Preah Vihear
- Posted in Travel Thailand Forum "RE: RE: My Thai trip......it's ..."
- updated a Prasat Preah Vihear Travel Page "Prasat Khao Phra Wihan"
- Wrote a Review Visit Khao Phra Wihan in Prasat Preah Vihear Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Prasat Khao Phra Wihan"
- Commented on one of AlbuqRay's Prasat Preah Vihear travel pages
Photos in Prasat Preah VihearSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Bali Intro, 28 reviews, 156 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ko Samui Intro, 25 reviews, 137 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ko Phangan Intro, 19 reviews, 105 photos, 2 travelogues
- Phuket Intro, 18 reviews, 73 photos
- Ko Phi Phi Don Intro, 12 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wollongong Intro, 11 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pattaya Intro, 9 reviews, 44 photos
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 10 reviews, 36 photos
- Sydney Intro, 10 reviews, 35 photos
- Ko Samet Intro, 7 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue