"Las Vegas!!!" Las Vegas by rsilva

Las Vegas Travel Guide: 8,461 reviews and 17,450 photos

Around the world in a day!

Where else in the world can you see Paris, Venice, Egypt, Ancient Rome, Alladin's Cave and the Excalibur Castle, in one day, without a teletransportation device, a time machine and a really good imagination?

In Las Vegas of course!

We were only there for a day (and a night) and it was all we were expecting: an extravagant, over-the-top place in the middle of nowhere.

I have been told (and really believe it) that there are serious problems with the water and power supply in Nevada and still you see artificial lakes as big as a football field... with no other purpose than decoration (OK, maybe it helps refreshing a bit) and lights/music everywhere, I wonder how much electricity is wasted here...

The lights

This place really looks at its best at night with all building lit up with very bright lights and each Hotel/Casino trying to look better than its neighbors.

In any case, Las Vegas is all about gambling, no matter what people might say. Even the people attending conferences come to gamble.

It is so insane that you can even gamble while you are eating or in the pool!

I read that 18 of the world's 20 largest hotels are in Las Vegas! Bellagio alone has about 5500 rooms and a very high occupancy rate.

We attended a Cirque du Soleil show (you can read the tips for more info), which ended after midnight, and then we went for a tour of the casinos.
At a certain point, I checked my watch (there are no clocks or windows in the casinos) and noticed it was 4 A.M.! We were just starting to get tired. I read that pure oxygen is pumped in the air to keep people fresh and awake to allow them to gamble. This article says it is nonsense:
I actually believe it might be true. We were on the 6th day of our trip and had just driven about 7 hours that day, so I think the bright lights and the excitement were not enough to keep me awake...

Luxury

This is a place that spoils you rotten if you have the money. Just take a look at the picture, this is a car rental agency.

There are huge, stretched-limo's parked everywhere and all casino's make sure you are having a good time (they serve you drinks, make sure everything is OK, etc), as studies seem to prove that happy people gamble more.

To conclude, I would have liked to stay for at least another day as I did not get the chance to see any of the free shows (like the battle at the Treasure Island or the erupting Volcano at the Mirage) or other attractions like the Lions at MGM or the Flamingo's at the Hilton... but more than 3-4 days will probably alter your sense of reality.

• Pros:The lights, the non-stop action
  • Cons:Is ANYTHING real here?
  • In a nutshell:You must see it at least once
  • Last visit to Las Vegas: May 2004
  • Intro Updated Feb 27, 2005

rsilva

“Next stop... ?”

Badges & Stats in Las Vegas

Have you been to Las Vegas?

Latest Activity in Las Vegas