"Las Vegas!!!" Las Vegas by rsilva
Las Vegas Travel Guide: 8,553 reviews and 17,704 photos
Where else in the world can you see Paris, Venice, Egypt, Ancient Rome, Alladin's Cave and the Excalibur Castle, in one day, without a teletransportation device, a time machine and a really good imagination?
In Las Vegas of course!
We were only there for a day (and a night) and it was all we were expecting: an extravagant, over-the-top place in the middle of nowhere.
I have been told (and really believe it) that there are serious problems with the water and power supply in Nevada and still you see artificial lakes as big as a football field... with no other purpose than decoration (OK, maybe it helps refreshing a bit) and lights/music everywhere, I wonder how much electricity is wasted here...
This place really looks at its best at night with all building lit up with very bright lights and each Hotel/Casino trying to look better than its neighbors.
In any case, Las Vegas is all about gambling, no matter what people might say. Even the people attending conferences come to gamble.
It is so insane that you can even gamble while you are eating or in the pool!
I read that 18 of the world's 20 largest hotels are in Las Vegas! Bellagio alone has about 5500 rooms and a very high occupancy rate.
We attended a Cirque du Soleil show (you can read the tips for more info), which ended after midnight, and then we went for a tour of the casinos.
At a certain point, I checked my watch (there are no clocks or windows in the casinos) and noticed it was 4 A.M.! We were just starting to get tired. I read that pure oxygen is pumped in the air to keep people fresh and awake to allow them to gamble. This article says it is nonsense:
I actually believe it might be true. We were on the 6th day of our trip and had just driven about 7 hours that day, so I think the bright lights and the excitement were not enough to keep me awake...
This is a place that spoils you rotten if you have the money. Just take a look at the picture, this is a car rental agency.
There are huge, stretched-limo's parked everywhere and all casino's make sure you are having a good time (they serve you drinks, make sure everything is OK, etc), as studies seem to prove that happy people gamble more.
To conclude, I would have liked to stay for at least another day as I did not get the chance to see any of the free shows (like the battle at the Treasure Island or the erupting Volcano at the Mirage) or other attractions like the Lions at MGM or the Flamingo's at the Hilton... but more than 3-4 days will probably alter your sense of reality.
- Pros:The lights, the non-stop action
- Cons:Is ANYTHING real here?
- In a nutshell:You must see it at least once
Well, there are very nice things about Las Vegas and this is one of them. Cirque du Soleil are quite famous and if you... more travel advice
rsilva's Related Pages
Las Vegas Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Las Vegas - Always Updating!"
- "What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas!"
- "A tourists view of Las Vegas"
- "Vegas - City with a sleeping disorder"
- "las vegas"
- "Viva Las Vegas"
- "Las Vegas: An Escape From Reality"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Las Vegas
- Hotels in Las Vegas
- Transportation in Las Vegas
- Nightlife in Las Vegas
- Restaurants in Las Vegas
- Shopping in Las Vegas
- Warnings and Dangers in Las Vegas
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Las Vegas
- 3 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Las Vegas?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Las Vegas
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 78 reviews, 108 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lisbon Intro, 50 reviews, 94 photos, 5 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 38 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Barcelona Intro, 14 reviews, 57 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monterey Intro, 24 reviews, 28 photos
- Prague Intro, 9 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Île de Porquerolles 8 reviews, 17 photos
- Valley of Fire State Park Intro, 3 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Setúbal Intro, 1 review, 18 photos, 2 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 6 reviews, 11 photos