"San Francisco" San Francisco by rsilva
San Francisco Travel Guide: 9,131 reviews and 19,421 photos
Our second stop in the US Trip was San Francisco. It is one of those places you hear so much about so you go there with very high expectations.
I was not dissapointed. It is a very lively city and European in a way (the cable cars, architecture, etc), I actually found a lot of similarities with Lisbon:
- The Golden Gate bridge, looks just like the one over the "Tejo" river (if I remember correctly it was designed by the same people).
- The cable cars
- All the hills
- The waterfront
Not that I was looking for Europe in the US, but it was nice to feel "at home" in a way, specially since I don't live in Portugal anymore.
But this is as far as the similarities go.
One of the most famous attractions here is the Alcatraz prison. It was the "home" to many famous prisioners and has been features in several movies.
We went for the night tour (see tip: "Alcatraz by night" ) and it was really interesting.
I remember the tour guide mentioning that the hardest thing for the prisioners was being "so close but yet so far". Observing the view from the island, I understand exactly what they felt.
It's a great feeling to hang on the outside of one of the famous streetcars. We took the Hyde & Powell line up to Lombard street (the world's crookedest street) and it was a very nice ride, but do your best to stand up as sitting down will be missing out on the half the fun.
An interesting thing is to see how the cars are turned around when they reach the end of the line: they are manually rotated on a platform (see picture).
John's Grill or "Historical John's Grill" as it says on the bill is a Seafood/Steak restaurant and is apparently quite... more travel advice
rsilva's Related Pages
San Francisco Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bagdad by the Bay"
- "San Francisco - My Favorie City - By Default"
- "San Francisco - "It's a free-for-all up there!""
- "SFO ... a declassé love letter to the CITY"
- "San Francisco: Why this heart never leaves"
- "I Left My Heart..."
- "San Francisco is Really Shaking Things Up!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in San Francisco
- Hotels in San Francisco
- Transportation in San Francisco
- Nightlife in San Francisco
- Restaurants in San Francisco
- Shopping in San Francisco
- Warnings and Dangers in San Francisco
- See All...
Badges & Stats in San Francisco
- 3 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to San Francisco?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in San Francisco
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 78 reviews, 108 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lisbon Intro, 50 reviews, 94 photos, 5 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 38 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Barcelona Intro, 14 reviews, 57 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monterey Intro, 24 reviews, 28 photos
- Prague Intro, 9 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Île de Porquerolles 8 reviews, 17 photos
- Valley of Fire State Park Intro, 3 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Setúbal Intro, 1 review, 18 photos, 2 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 6 reviews, 11 photos