"San Francisco" San Francisco by rsilva

San Francisco Travel Guide: 9,131 reviews and 19,421 photos

San Francisco = Lisbon?

Our second stop in the US Trip was San Francisco. It is one of those places you hear so much about so you go there with very high expectations.
I was not dissapointed. It is a very lively city and European in a way (the cable cars, architecture, etc), I actually found a lot of similarities with Lisbon:

- The Golden Gate bridge, looks just like the one over the "Tejo" river (if I remember correctly it was designed by the same people).
- The cable cars
- All the hills
- The waterfront

Not that I was looking for Europe in the US, but it was nice to feel "at home" in a way, specially since I don't live in Portugal anymore.

But this is as far as the similarities go.

The rock

One of the most famous attractions here is the Alcatraz prison. It was the "home" to many famous prisioners and has been features in several movies.

We went for the night tour (see tip: "Alcatraz by night" ) and it was really interesting.

I remember the tour guide mentioning that the hardest thing for the prisioners was being "so close but yet so far". Observing the view from the island, I understand exactly what they felt.

The streetcars/cable cars

It's a great feeling to hang on the outside of one of the famous streetcars. We took the Hyde & Powell line up to Lombard street (the world's crookedest street) and it was a very nice ride, but do your best to stand up as sitting down will be missing out on the half the fun.

An interesting thing is to see how the cars are turned around when they reach the end of the line: they are manually rotated on a platform (see picture).

• Last visit to San Francisco: May 2004
  • Intro Updated Feb 23, 2005

• Aug 9, 2006 at 8:28 AM

Boutiques I always try to avoid them. The rooms are small with small dbl beds. The buildigns seem old and worn. That sarcastic desk clerk you experienced should be enough to knock a star off of their rating.

• travlnlght's Profile Photo
    Jul 3, 2005 at 6:26 AM

I did get tickets online and can't wait to go!

rsilva

“Next stop... ?”

Badges & Stats in San Francisco

Have you been to San Francisco?

Latest Activity in San Francisco