"Monterey - Beginning of the U.S. tour" Top 5 Page for this destination Monterey by rsilva

Monterey Travel Guide: 922 reviews and 2,753 photos

About Monterey

This was our first stop in our first U.S. trip. My girlfriend attended a conference and I gladly joined her afterwards for what turned out to be a great 10-day vacation.

Monterey is a small town, 200 km south of San Francisco and about 750 km north of Los Angeles, located on southernmost curve of Monterey Bay. At the last count (2000 census) there were 29,674 people living in the city.

Things to see

There are some interesting things to see here, like the oldest theater in California.

You can also take the "Path of History" which will allow you to see the interiors of historic adobe buildings. Check my tip for more information.

These adobes buildings have restored and are from the time the city was the capital of the Spanish territory of California.

Monterey was also California’s first state capital and there are some historical buildings dating from that time.

Things to see, part 2

Monterey's history as maritime town is very evident. Just take a look at the Monterey Bay Aquarium, Cannery Row, Fisherman's Wharf or the Maritime Museum.

• Last visit to Monterey: May 2004
  • Intro Written Feb 25, 2005

• marcbrazil's Profile Photo
    Nov 3, 2007 at 8:41 PM

Monterrey sounds incredible, USA is always showing me that it is not really what we think!;)

• Vulindlela's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2007 at 3:21 PM

What a great place to start your tour! Monterey is a fun area to visit.

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Feb 5, 2007 at 3:04 PM

I'm glad you had a wonderful time visiting Monterey--thanks for the tip on Fishermen's Wharf...I had heard that it had declined. It seems you found us friendly and helpful...glad to hear that! Regards from Texas

• icunme's Profile Photo
    May 21, 2006 at 2:43 PM

Really nice photos/tips on Monterey pages - will return again. Ciao, Carol

• May 9, 2006 at 11:37 AM

Your tip of the 17-mile drive was very helpful, however the tip about bike riding is a bit vague (it could be more informative about how difficult of a bike ride it is). But overall most of your tips are very valuable.

• johanl's Profile Photo
    Oct 22, 2005 at 1:40 AM

thanks for sharing. Will be visiting Monterey next week. JL

• b1bob's Profile Photo
    Oct 2, 2005 at 10:00 AM

Nice commentary on Monterey. Next time you visit the USA, you should try the Southeast after New Orleans is rebuilt and Richmond finishes its renovations.

• CALSF's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2005 at 9:23 PM

Ricardo, I just came across your Monterey page. I see we've both eaten at Gilbert's, but we have differing opinions. ;) You really saw alot of Monterey! I like the hotel tip for sure. ;) Good page! Eh, and you got a rare sunny day too. :0)

• Apr 23, 2005 at 5:02 AM

I love Monterey! Very good job - thanks!

rsilva

“Next stop... ?”

Badges & Stats in Monterey

Have you been to Monterey?

Latest Activity in Monterey