"Firenze" Florence by rsilva
Florence Travel Guide: 5,085 reviews and 11,271 photos
We had the chance to visit Florence last summer for the first time, on the occasion of a friend's wedding.
Although the wedding was in a small city outside Florence, we decided to stay in the city for a couple of days.
Fortunately, I was not affected by Stendahl's Syndrome, maybe because I've lived in a few quite historical places myself. In any case, this does not mean I did not like the city. On the contrary, I think it is very beautiful.
On the occasion of the wedding, I was talking to some friends and I was asked what I thought of Florence, to which I replied: "Very nice, but not the nicest place I have been to". This was not the right answer. Although the person was from Bologna, I had a hard time convincing him that other cities could be nicer. I had forgotten that Italians are proud of more than just food :).
This is one of the top tourist destinations in Europe. This means:
- Prices are high (lodging, food, everything actually)
- It is very crowded and we all know tourists are not generally the kind of people you want to be around, even if you are one of them.
- Quality is generally not very good when it comes to eating out, unless you really know where to go. People take advantage of the fact you are a tourist - not nice.
In one of the restaurants we went to, I asked the waiter where the bathroom was, in Italian (I speak fluently, without any noticeable accent) and got a reply in English. They just know who the tourists are... Needless to say, both service and food were awful.
Of course, there is a lot to see in Florence.
From a historical point of view, it is absolutely great. You can spend weeks here and still not see everything.
- Piazzale Michelangelo. The view is absolutely fabulous and it is a great feeling just to sit down and watch the city.
- The ponte vecchio. It might be the most touristy and photographed spot in the city, but it is very beautiful and the surrounding area is very nice (I have this thing for rivers and canals).
- Santa Croce.
- Il Duomo. The colours are quite unusual.
- Galleria Degli Uffizi. We didn't have the chance to see it as the line was VERY long.
The list goes on, so if you are willing to ignore the cons, you will have a great time.
- Pros:The history, the ambiance
- Cons:Tourist traps everywhere
- In a nutshell:Very nice, but not the nicest place I have been to
Last day in Firenze. It was very hot, we were tired and hungry, but had no idea of where to eat. Since we had a bad... more travel advice
This small hotel is located just 300 meters from the train station (SM Novella) and just a few minutes walk from the... more travel advice
rsilva's Related Pages
Florence Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "weekends in Florence"
- "FIRENZE - FLORENCE"
- "My Relationship With Firenze"
- "Firenze -Florence - Florenz - Florencia"
- "Breathtaking Florence!"
- "Fabulous Florence"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Florence
- Hotels in Florence
- Transportation in Florence
- Nightlife in Florence
- Restaurants in Florence
- Shopping in Florence
- Warnings and Dangers in Florence
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Florence
- 4 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Florence?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Florence
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 78 reviews, 108 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lisbon Intro, 50 reviews, 94 photos, 5 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 38 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Barcelona Intro, 14 reviews, 57 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monterey Intro, 24 reviews, 28 photos
- Prague Intro, 9 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Île de Porquerolles 8 reviews, 17 photos
- Valley of Fire State Park Intro, 3 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Setúbal Intro, 1 review, 18 photos, 2 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 6 reviews, 11 photos
Latest Florence hotel reviews
- La Loggia Bed & Breakfast
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 9, 2012
- Machiavelli Palace
- 256 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 17, 2013
- Hotel Moderno
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 26, 2012
- 471 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 18, 2013
- Afossi Hostel House
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 24, 2011
- New Ostel
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 23, 2013
- Hotel Europa Signa
- 42 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2011
- Alloro B&B
- 303 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 28, 2013
- Hotel Cestelli
- 133 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- Hilton Garden Inn Florence Novoli
- 228 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 12, 2013
- San Frediano Mansion Florence
- 53 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 9, 2013
- Vecchia Firenze
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 25, 2009
- 24 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 8, 2013
- Tourist House Ghiberti
- 355 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 16, 2013
- Hotel San Giovanni
- 80 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 28, 2013