Île de Porquerolles Transportation Tips by rsilva
Île de Porquerolles Transportation: 6 reviews and 9 photos
The plane that took us home
The closest airport is Toulon/Hyeres (not to be confused with Toulouse), which is served by some low-cost airlines, such as Transavia from the Netherlands (departing Rotterdam) as well as other "regular".
Upon arrival, it is necessary to go to "La tours fondue", which is the port from where boats depart to Porquerolles. It seems the only option is taking a taxi, which takes about 15 minutes and will cost you around 25 Eur.
After that, you must take the T.L.V. ferry to the island, which costs 9.70Eur . BEWARE: the last ferry departs at 19.00 during high season and even earlier the rest of the year.
If you arrive later than that, there are three options:
- Get a hotel close to the airport
- Take a boat taxi from Tours Fondue
- Take a boat taxi from Hyeres
The taxi from Tours Fondue will cost a whopping 84Eur from 19.00-23.00 for one to six passengers, with a 14 Eur surcharge for each additional one, up to 8 people max. It is slightly cheaper before that and more expensive after. The boats run 24 hours a day.
The taxi boat from Hyeres is a short taxi ride from the airport, but costs 120Eur, which is more than the cost of the taxi+boat from Tour Fondue, so it is probably not worth the hassle as you still need to get to the Hyeres port
Le Pelican bateau taxi
Once on the island, the main square (where almost all hotels are), is just 200 meters away. The taxi boat includes transportation to the hotel on the island.
Since it is not possible to bring your car to the island, the only way to get around is by bike and there are several bike rental shops around.
They all charge more or less the same (about 12-14Eur for a full day and 7-9 for half a day), so I would go for the ones that look newer. Our hotel, for instance, offered a special deal at 9Eur a day, but I did not use it, so I cannot say if the bikes were any good.
Since the terrain is quite rugged, the bikes are all mountain bikes and getting around is not always easy. Most of the roads are not paved and, worse, they are sand, so it is quite heavy to pedal.
It is, however, the best way to get around as it can be difficult to walk all the way to the beaches.
The bike rental shops are scattered around the main square (Place D'Armes) and there is even one at the port.
The little "house" at the end of the square (next to the children's playground) has a map of the island with all the bike paths and the difficulty of each one. Could be useful to plan your trip.
More Reviews (6)
rsilva's Related Pages
Île de Porquerolles Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "L'île de Porquerolles"
- "Ile de Porquerolles Page"
- "Île de Porquerolles"
- "peacefull porquerolles!"
- "South of France paradise"
- "No auto on the island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Île de Porquerolles
- Hotels in Île de Porquerolles
- Transportation in Île de Porquerolles
- Restaurants in Île de Porquerolles
- Shopping in Île de Porquerolles
- Warnings and Dangers in Île de Porquerolles
- See All...
Explore the World
- Spring Mill State Park Hotels
- Terre Haute Hotels
- Savanna-la-Mar Hotels
- Placencia Village
- Nisos Sifnos Hotels
Badges & Stats in Île de Porquerolles
- 8 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Île de Porquerolles?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Île de Porquerolles
Photos in Île de PorquerollesSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 78 reviews, 108 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lisbon Intro, 50 reviews, 94 photos, 5 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 38 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Barcelona Intro, 14 reviews, 57 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monterey Intro, 24 reviews, 28 photos
- Prague Intro, 9 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Île de Porquerolles 8 reviews, 17 photos
- Valley of Fire State Park Intro, 3 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Setúbal Intro, 1 review, 18 photos, 2 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 6 reviews, 11 photos