Île de Porquerolles Things to Do Tips by rsilva
Île de Porquerolles Things to Do: 16 reviews and 51 photos
There are several beaches on the island and they are all very nice. The closest one to the main square is "La plage de la Courtade". It is only a short walk away from the "center", but I recommend going all the way towards the end as the sand is more comfortable (less pebbles and shells) and it is also wider.
For an overview of the beaches, check out this page (in French only, but with pictures)
It might be a good idea to rent a bike to reach the beaches, especially the more remote ones.
The water was a bit cold, but still warm enough to allow for a nice swim.
The windmill at sunset
Built in the beginning of the 18th century, during the "Golden Ages" of windmills in Provence, this windmill is in a beautiful, relaxing setting.
It was restaured in 2006 and is a nice "model" for some pictures.
It is just a short walk away from the main square and only a couple of minutes away from the fort, so you can easily combine the two in a short walk.
There are quite a few dragonflies on the island and there were a huge amount of them around the windmill.
Please check the pictures to get a better feel. It is particularly impressive at sunset.
Directions: There are signs from the main square that indicate the way to the Fort, just follow them and the windmill is on the back of the for, just 100 meters away.
This fort originally dates back to the 12th century, when it was built as a "manor house".
It was rebuilt as the "Castel de Porcayrolas" by Honorat de Forbin, the owner of the island at the time, in 1518-1519.
1531 - Modified to protect the island from pirates and enemies during the war against Spain and Austria.
At the end of the 18th century, it was destroyed by the English and later recaptured. It was rebuilt and cannons were installed for defense.
It went through several modifications in the 19th century and became part of the Parc national de Port-Cros in 1991.
It is one of the highest points of the island and has a nice view
Directions: There are signs that indicate the way from the main square.
More Reviews (5)
rsilva's Related Pages
Île de Porquerolles Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "L'île de Porquerolles"
- "Ile de Porquerolles Page"
- "Île de Porquerolles"
- "peacefull porquerolles!"
- "South of France paradise"
- "No auto on the island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Île de Porquerolles
- Hotels in Île de Porquerolles
- Transportation in Île de Porquerolles
- Restaurants in Île de Porquerolles
- Shopping in Île de Porquerolles
- Warnings and Dangers in Île de Porquerolles
- See All...
Explore the World
- Kota Belud Hotels
- Tustin Hotels
- Dakshinkali Hotels
- Jellico Hotels
- South Queensferry
Badges & Stats in Île de Porquerolles
- 8 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Île de Porquerolles?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Île de Porquerolles
Photos in Île de PorquerollesSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 78 reviews, 108 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lisbon Intro, 50 reviews, 94 photos, 5 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 38 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Barcelona Intro, 14 reviews, 57 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monterey Intro, 24 reviews, 28 photos
- Prague Intro, 9 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Île de Porquerolles 8 reviews, 17 photos
- Valley of Fire State Park Intro, 3 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Setúbal Intro, 1 review, 18 photos, 2 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 6 reviews, 11 photos