"Bratislava... Slovak Republic" Bratislava by RandomDreamer

Bratislava Travel Guide: 2,017 reviews and 4,549 photos

What can not be said about Bratislava... the city that has it all. It's not suprising that the majority of travellers I met here feel they could live in this fine place. I can't think of anyone I've met who's been here and not liked it. However, Bratislava is hardly the most visited place on earth and dispite it's prominent geographical position, it remains figuratively hidden.

Twice now I've been here and had to tear myself away. Starkly contrasting in just about everything. You come across the most ramshackle shopping area by the famous SNP square and the intriguing housing nightmare that is the Petrzalka district lies just by Austria across the Danube. In your face communist architecture stands out at every turn and reminds you that this is no ordinary place, as do the intelligently placed and interesting modern statues dotted around town.

Don't write off Bratislava. Unless you don't want to meet the friendliest people, see the most interesting architecture and drink the best beer in Europe!

• Pros:Gritty atmosphere and amazing architecture
  • Cons:Paradoxally, the gritty atmosphere can leave you slightly on edge...
  • In a nutshell:You don't know what you're missing
  • Last visit to Bratislava: Mar 2005
  • Intro Updated Aug 13, 2005

• aaaarrgh's Profile Photo
    Jan 19, 2005 at 3:49 PM

More tips please, RD, I am an architecture glutton too :-))

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Dec 26, 2004 at 3:36 PM

Excellent start about this lovely city. I really loved Bratislava as well. Keep up the good work ... :o)

• carolynllew's Profile Photo
    Dec 26, 2004 at 3:52 AM

I wish I'd had your directions for Downtown Backpackers before I left Australia on 3 Dec. I stayed there and thought it was a great location but......spent more than one hour finding it.

RandomDreamer

“Everything in life that is ultimately worthwhile, initially scares you to death”

Badges & Stats in Bratislava

Have you been to Bratislava?

Latest Activity in Bratislava