"Saint Raphael" Saint-Raphaël by no1daydreamer

Saint-Raphaël Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 12 photos

Ignore NiceLife, Saint Raphael is lovely!

I stayed in Saint Raphael for 6 weeks as an au-pair and it is a lovely town. The sea-front is really nice, there are 2 ports full of yachts and there are lots of cafes along the front with beautiful views out to sea. I reccommend the cafe 'Le Poussin Bleu'. I sat here sometimes with a drink just staring out at the spectacular view of the sea.

The town is quite pretty with lots of flowers and is clean. Ok, so there are no narrow winding alleys and cobbled streets but it is a great base to get to other old towns and villages. Its got lots of good shops, cafes, restaurants, a station, etc. so it is a convenient place to stay.

I agree with NiceLife that the Basilica is spoilt by an ugly block of pink flats when you look at it from the sea front but if you walk round to the Basilica's main entrance it is really lovely because you can't see the ugly flats from there. And it is beautiful inside.

If you come and stay in Saint Raphael you must get the boat across to Saint Tropez - I adore Saint Tropez, although when I have been there (in May and in September) it has been out of season. I would probably see it in a different more vulgar light during the summer. Do not think of driving to Saint Tropez, you have to arrive there by boat, it's part of the magic!

I also recommend Grasse although don't bother spending hours in the perfume factories, instead explore the old cobbled streets. I didn't like Cannes because in my opinion it has no charm.

• In a nutshell:A more approachable town on the Cote D'Azur - no snobbery or falseness!
  • Last visit to Saint-Raphaël: May 2005
  • Intro Updated Sep 3, 2005

Comments

no1daydreamer

“When in Rome, do as the Romans do”

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.

Badges & Stats in Saint-Raphaël

Have you been to Saint-Raphaël?

Latest Activity in Saint-Raphaël