"Ujung Kulon National Park - World Heritage Site" Suaka Margasatwa Ujungkulon by DidiBeachBum
Suaka Margasatwa Ujungkulon Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 63 photos
The Ujung Kulon National Park located on a peninsula in the most south-western tip of Java, was created by the Dutch in the late 1800's as a preserve for the Javanese White Rhino. The National Park was added to Unesco's World Heritage List in 1991. Several species of endangered plants and animals can be found there, the Javan one-horned rhinoceros being the most seriously under threat.
There are Peucang and Panaitan are two main islands in UKNP. Visitor center is located in Peucang Island where accomodation is available. It is a small but very beautiful island with a white sandy beach and blue coastal waters. Peucang is the local word for barking deer, as hundreds of barking deer are found in its dense tropical forest, along with other wild animals, like monkeys, monitor lizards and wild boarss are found in its forest.
Visitors can try snorkeling in the island's coastal waters. Best place for snorkeling is Legon Sumino beach, 1 km from the visitor center. Divers can see beautiful coral reefs at Citerjun, about 15 minutes by boat from Peucang island.
Best time to come to UKNP is between April to September, when the sea is calm.
Another main highlights of UKNP is Cigenteur River that is located close to Handeleum island. Canoeing down Cigenter River is a must do activities. The water is crystal clear and if you're extremely lucky you could bump into a Javan Rhino bathing in the river but chances are RARE.
there are plenty of pretty little islands scattered around in Ujung Kulon national Park
- Cons:a malaria zone
- In a nutshell:a world heritage site
this is what they eat. we call it the fruit of Nipas Tree. more travel advice
Trekking from Karang Ranjang to Tanjung Lame takes about 2.5 hours. We stopped by for lunch overlooking the majestic... more travel advice
DidiBeachBum's Related Pages
Suaka Margasatwa Ujungkulon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ujung Kulon National Park - World Heritage Site"
- "Ujung Kulon National Park"
- "Taman Nasional Ujung Kulon"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Suaka Margasatwa Ujungkulon
- Hotels in Suaka Margasatwa Ujungkulon
- Transportation in Suaka Margasatwa Ujungkulon
- Restaurants in Suaka Margasatwa Ujungkulon
- Warnings and Dangers in Suaka Margasatwa Ujungkulon
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Suaka Margasatwa Ujungkulon
- 17 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Suaka Margasatwa Ujungkulon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Suaka Margasatwa Ujungkulon
Photos in Suaka Margasatwa UjungkulonSee All Photos (27)
Top 10 Pages
- Suaka Margasatwa Ujungkulon Intro, 17 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pelabuhanratu Intro, 11 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Pulau Seribu Intro, 7 reviews, 33 photos, 3 travelogues
- Pulau Flores Intro, 4 reviews, 31 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Komodo Intro, 10 reviews, 24 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pangandaran Intro, 10 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pulau Bunaken Intro, 12 reviews, 19 photos
- Sumbawa Intro, 13 reviews, 16 photos
- Bandung Intro, 11 reviews, 16 photos
- Ujunggenteng Intro, 8 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue