"Marken - Island Life" Top 5 Page for this destination Marken by stevezero
Marken Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 134 photos
Marken - it's a place I have visited often on my times in Holland. It is one of those places that draw you back and you you don't always know why?
MArken was once an island in the old Zuider Zee (now the freshwater Ijslemeer). It is now linked to the mainland by a causeway. It retains it's island character though with its picturesque green houses, fishing harbour, and its steady pace of life.
- Pros:Scenic, boats, lighthouse
- Cons:A bit touristy in summer
- In a nutshell:Get away from the bustle of Amsterdam
Marken is easily reached by bus from Ansterdam, take bus #111 from just outside Centraal Station more travel advice
Marken is perhaps best known for its traditional green houses, which are still found in abundance in the village. Thay... more travel advice
stevezero's Related Pages
Marken Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Marken - Island Life"
- "Marken, travel back in time"
- "Lovely seaside town"
- "Island of little green houses!"
- "A Former Island in a Former Part of the Sea"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Marken
- Hotels in Marken
- Transportation in Marken
- Restaurants in Marken
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Marken
- 10 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (63)
Have you been to Marken?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Marken
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scotland Intro, 275 reviews, 771 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aberdeen Intro, 114 reviews, 188 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Derbyshire Intro, 73 reviews, 138 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 85 reviews, 120 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 43 reviews, 154 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wales Intro, 32 reviews, 124 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Inverness Intro, 34 reviews, 104 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumfries and Galloway Intro, 67 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northumberland Intro, 31 reviews, 101 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Andrews Intro, 57 reviews, 60 photos