"No, the other Banff" Banff by stevezero
Banff Travel Guide: 39 reviews and 51 photos
Mention Banff to most people and they will say "yeah thats the place in Canada where they do the skiing"
But no this is another one, This is The Banff of Aberdeenshire Scotland with its fine Georgian splendour.
Banff began its life as a fishing port in 1100. However the harbour silted up in the 1800's and left Macduff on the other side of Banff Bay as the main commercial port for this area.
Although, there are no commercial boats, the harbour is still open to leisure craft and seems to be up and coming, with a sailing club and new development on the foreshore.
Banff contains an interseting mix of architectural styles, from the Georgin of the upper part of town, to the more functional houses and cottages of the low lying area.
A main draw for the town is Duff house, one of the finest examples of a Georgian country house in the UK.
Although the old castle is long gone, it is still possibe to see parts of the moat and the wall that surrounded the... more travel advice
These gates are now the entrance to the Castle Park. Formally they were the gates to the Duff House estate. They were... more travel advice
stevezero's Related Pages
Banff Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Banff
- Restaurants in Banff
- Shopping in Banff
- Warnings and Dangers in Banff
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Banff
- 8 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (97)
Have you been to Banff?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Banff
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scotland Intro, 275 reviews, 771 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aberdeen Intro, 114 reviews, 188 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Derbyshire Intro, 73 reviews, 138 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 85 reviews, 120 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 43 reviews, 154 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wales Intro, 32 reviews, 124 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Inverness Intro, 34 reviews, 104 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumfries and Galloway Intro, 67 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northumberland Intro, 31 reviews, 101 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Andrews Intro, 57 reviews, 60 photos