Belper Things to Do Tips by stevezero
Belper Things to Do: 25 reviews and 30 photos
Strutt Arms, MIlford
The Strutt Arms, MIlford is an historic hotel standing in the shadow of the old mill. It is situated nicely by the river Derwent
Directions: 2kms out of Belper on the A6
The River Derwent at Milford
The River Derwent at Milford was the pwerhouse for the old mill. Although no longer in use some of the sluices and the old weir are still visible.
There is also an old stone bridge, built at the same time as the mill (1796). This was later widened to carry an increase in traffic through the village.
Directions: 2kms out of Belper on A6
Milford Mill was built by Jedediah Strutt in 1796 along with housing for the workers.
A lot of the mill complex was demolished in the 1960's, but the chimney and some buildingd survive.
Directions: 2kms out of Belper on A6
Milford Workers Cottages
Milford, like Belper is a mill community. The Strutt family built many cottages for the workers of the cotton mill in the village.
Directions: MIlford, 2kms out of Belper on A6
Just in fornt of Holy Trinity Church, Milford, can be found the cross and war memorial to the dead of both world wars.
Directions: Milford on A6 2kms out of Belper
Holy Trinity Church, Milford
Holy Trinity Church is situated in the small village of Milford, some 2kms outside BELPER on the A6 road
Directions: A6 from Belper to Derby
Duffield Castle, Near Belper
Duffield Castle is an 11th century stone motte and bailey fortress, founded by Henry de Ferrers, Earl of Derby. In 1886 and 1957, excavations on the large low motte and wide bailey ditch, uncovered the foundations of a magnificent square Norman keep, with a forebuilding and a deep well. Sadly the keep, one of the largest in England is only five courses of sandstone high, after being taken and destroyed in 1266, by the Royalist forces of Henry III
The site is owned by The National Trust and is freely accessible in daylight hours, by steep steps from Milford Road (A6)
Directions: Dufffield is a few miles from Belper on the A6 road in the ddirection of Derby
Babbington Hospital Belper
In a way , maybe you don't want to end up here!
The building was originally conceived as a workhouse in Victorian times, before being taked over by the council and becoming a hospital.
Accident and emergency facilities are not available here - you need The Royal Infirmery
Address: Derby Road, belper
Directions: On main A6 road coming into town from Derby direction
Whe don't have any huge wildlife here in Belper, But if you are careful in some of the more rural parts, you can see a few furry creatures.
This grey squirrel was spotted on the by the road out of town fight next to the main A6 road.
The grey squirrel is an introduced species (God bless America) than has practically wiped out our native red one in most parts of the UK.
Directions: In trees around town.
Virgin Train approaching Belper from Ambergate
For the anoraks amongst us, Belper is on a fairly busy main railway, so it is possible to see a few trains, mostly Virgin Trains and Central trains.
The railway runs in a cutting through the town, so they are best seen from a vantage point just outside the town centre.
Directions: On A6 road between Belper and Ambergate
More Reviews (24)
- See All Down By The Riverside
- See All Coach From London
- See All Furniture and Fancy Goods
- See All Pub / Resataurant
stevezero's Related Pages
Belper Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Belper - Derwent Valley"
- "Read This First"
- "Belper, Derwent Valley"
- "Boring Belper"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Belper
- Transportation in Belper
- Nightlife in Belper
- Restaurants in Belper
- Shopping in Belper
- Warnings and Dangers in Belper
- See All...
Explore the World
- Isabela Hotels
- Narberth Hotels
- Bacolod Hotels
- Grand View-on-Hudson Hotels
- East Java Province
Badges & Stats in Belper
- 50 Reviews
- 62 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 20 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (62)
Have you been to Belper?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Belper
Photos in BelperSee All Photos (62)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scotland Intro, 275 reviews, 771 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aberdeen Intro, 114 reviews, 188 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Derbyshire Intro, 73 reviews, 138 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 85 reviews, 120 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 43 reviews, 154 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wales Intro, 32 reviews, 124 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Inverness Intro, 34 reviews, 104 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumfries and Galloway Intro, 67 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northumberland Intro, 31 reviews, 101 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Andrews Intro, 57 reviews, 60 photos
Latest Belper hotel reviews
- The Lion Hotel (Bridge Street Belper DE56 1AX)
- 1 Review & Opinion