"Fortress Berwick" Top 5 Page for this destination Berwick-Upon-Tweed by stevezero
Berwick-Upon-Tweed Travel Guide: 53 reviews and 155 photos
Berwick-upon-Tweed is a town on the outer reaches of the English border, in the North East of the country. The Borderlands to north and south of the River Tweed have long been a fortified frontier district between England and Scotland. Its once-rich farmlands have been devastated and its landscape dotted with castles, towers and battlefields. Between 1296 and 1482, Berwick -upon-Tweed was besieged and assaulted on more occasions than any other town in the world other than Jerusalem, changing hands no less than 13 times!
However the towns history goes back further, and it was once part of the ancient kingdom of Northumbria, whose capital Bamburgh, was some 30kms south of the town. The fortifications of Bamburgh, and the Holy Island of Lindisfarne can both be seen from the ramparts of Berwick..
In the Middle Ages the towns defences were no longer able to defend against the mosrt modern artilery, so Queen Elizabeth I engaged an Italian engineer to design and supervise the construction of an ambitious system of fortifications, employing the most up-to-date technology of the time.
This circuit of ramparts and bastions is unique in the United Kingdom and still stands virtually intact t othis day. It is a magnificent walk around the old town ramparts, and there is no better way to enjoy your first taste of this surprising town.
The town remained a garrison town, and in 1882 Berwick Barracks became the depot of the King's Own Scottish Borderers, who still have their Headquarters there. they are no longer billeted here however, and the barracks are now an excellent museum.
- Pros:Stunnind medieval ramparts, historic buildings, river tweed, historic bridges
- In a nutshell:Great place for a week end break and to explore Northumberland
Marygate is Berwick-upon-Tweed's main shopping street. Here you can find branches of national chains, as well as... more travel advice
The Town Hall is a fine building in the centre of Berwick-upon-Tweed, built in 1761 - and no expense spared either. more travel advice
stevezero's Related Pages
Berwick-Upon-Tweed Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Fortress Berwick"
- "Gateway to Scotland"
- "Berwick Upon Tweed"
- "Berwick on Tweed"
- "Berwick Upon Tweed"
- "Scots or English?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Berwick-Upon-Tweed
- Hotels in Berwick-Upon-Tweed
- Transportation in Berwick-Upon-Tweed
- Nightlife in Berwick-Upon-Tweed
- Restaurants in Berwick-Upon-Tweed
- Shopping in Berwick-Upon-Tweed
- Warnings and Dangers in Berwick-Upon-Tweed
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Berwick-Upon-Tweed
- 16 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (64)
Have you been to Berwick-Upon-Tweed?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Berwick-Upon-Tweed
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scotland Intro, 275 reviews, 771 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aberdeen Intro, 114 reviews, 188 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Derbyshire Intro, 73 reviews, 138 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 85 reviews, 120 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 43 reviews, 154 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wales Intro, 32 reviews, 124 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Inverness Intro, 34 reviews, 104 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumfries and Galloway Intro, 67 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northumberland Intro, 31 reviews, 101 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Andrews Intro, 57 reviews, 60 photos