"Cromford - Arkwright's Village" Cromford by stevezero
Cromford Travel Guide: 35 reviews and 66 photos
Cromford is a village on the edge of the Peak District in Derbyshire, central England.
The river Derwent flows through the village, as does a railway, and the A6 Derby - Matlock road.
Above all though the village is most famous for its association with Richard Arkwright, who began the mill complex here in 1771, that was revolutionarily powered by water.
Although some buildings in the village existed before Arkwright came along, the majority of what we see today stems from his activities. This includes the huge mill complex, now run by the Arkwright Society, which is currently being restored and already has a selection of shops, a cafe and some offices.
The village is set in the Derwent valley surrounded by wooded hills and cliffs.
The nearest town is Matlock a few miles away. Cromford is some 17 miles down the A6 road, from the county town of Derby.
- Pros:Rich industrial heritage
- In a nutshell:Set in World Heritage Site
Unfornunately the Sewerage Beds are located near the river Derwent at the back of the canal near High Peak... more travel advice
Recently opened, the cafe is situated in an old wharf shed at the haed of the Cromford canal. It is a great place to sit... more travel advice
stevezero's Related Pages
Cromford Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Cromford
- Hotels in Cromford
- Transportation in Cromford
- Restaurants in Cromford
- Shopping in Cromford
- Warnings and Dangers in Cromford
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Cromford
- 34 Reviews
- 61 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (62)
Have you been to Cromford?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cromford
Photos in CromfordSee All Photos (61)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scotland Intro, 275 reviews, 771 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aberdeen Intro, 114 reviews, 188 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Derbyshire Intro, 73 reviews, 138 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 85 reviews, 120 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 43 reviews, 154 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wales Intro, 32 reviews, 124 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Inverness Intro, 34 reviews, 104 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumfries and Galloway Intro, 67 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northumberland Intro, 31 reviews, 101 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Andrews Intro, 57 reviews, 60 photos